Any way of recovering a corrupted .julia?

J Luis

Sep 20, 2016, 3:07:36 PM9/20/16
to julia-users
Hi,

So I did it again. While trying to install ImageMagick and at same time attempting to convince Julia that I already had one ImageMagick installed in my Win machine and manually deleted some files.
After that the chaos. Every Pkg.update() has something to complain. For example

julia> Pkg.update()
INFO
: Updating METADATA...
INFO
: Cloning cache of GLVisualize from https://github.com/JuliaGL/GLVisualize.jl.git
ERROR
: GitError(Code:ENOTFOUND, Class:Repository, Could not find repository from 'C:\j\.julia\v0.5\.cache\GMT')

in Base.LibGit2.GitRepo(::String) at .\libgit2\repository.jl:11

it looks that I have no alternative than to wipe it completely and start a new.
And, I see that it's still there the (confess, annoyingly fact) that a Pkg.rm() doesn't remove anything but merely moves the "removed" package to the .trash directory.

In such cases, is there anyway to rescue the corrupted .julia?

Jānis Erdmanis

Sep 21, 2016, 7:26:09 AM9/21/16
to julia-users
I would suggest to start over, but keep REQUIRE file. Then do Pkg.init(), put REQUIRE file back and Pkg.update().