qhull wrapper

David van Leeuwen

Nov 18, 2013, 6:57:17 PM11/18/13
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is anyone aware of an implementation of a julia wrapper around the qhull library at http://www.qhull.org/ ?

I tried to understand the qhull c-interface, but it appears to be rather hairy with return values in globals if I am not mistaken.  Perhaps someone form the octave / R community has experience with an interface to the library?

Thanks,

---david

Miles Lubin

Nov 18, 2013, 11:12:33 PM11/18/13
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Probably the simplest way to currently use qhull in Julia is via PyCall and scipy. I've personally used this approach and it's worked seamlessly. The scipy.spatial module has an interface to most of what you should need from qhull.

Best,
Miles

Keno Fischer

Nov 19, 2013, 12:54:57 AM11/19/13
to julia...@googlegroups.com
That said, native qhull bindings would be extremely nice. I have some octave code that uses qhull that I've been meaning to port over to Julia, but using Python seems a bit like cheating ;).

David van Leeuwen

Nov 19, 2013, 5:22:50 AM11/19/13
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Thanks,

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:12:33 AM UTC+1, Miles Lubin wrote:
Hi David,

Probably the simplest way to currently use qhull in Julia is via PyCall and scipy. I've personally used this approach and it's worked seamlessly. The scipy.spatial module has an interface to most of what you should need from qhull.

Thanks, this was very helpful.

I have never really worked with python (I'm not very good at the semantics of whitespace), but this was definitely straightforward enough.

For a rudimentary implementation, I've put a module at https://github.com/davidavdav/CHull

Cheers,

---david