Julia users Berlin

David Higgins

Feb 25, 2015, 8:35:13 AM2/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm based at the Technical University in Berlin and I've more or less completed the transition to using Julia for all of my research (I still use OpenCL for bigger projects). I'm just wondering if there are other Berlin based Julia users/developers who want to meet up from time to time to share tips, etc.

David.

Felix Schüler

Feb 25, 2015, 3:06:30 PM2/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

I just recently started using julia for my data-analysis tasks here at TU Berlin and the MPI.
Would be glad to share some knowledge (of which I have very little until now)!

Felix

Simon Danisch

Feb 25, 2015, 3:12:57 PM2/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I'd join, if the date is allowing it  =)
But, I'm not from Berlin, so I'd need to plan this!

Jerry Xiong

Feb 26, 2015, 9:30:18 AM2/26/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I'll work in Berlin in this May. I work in computational biology. Right now I almost do all my job in Julia instead Matlab. I'd happy to share if the date is availble for me :)

Jerry

Hans W Borchers

Feb 26, 2015, 1:35:38 PM2/26/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
David,

why don't you just set up a Julia Meetup group. This will make it much easier
to organize meetings and to keep interested participants informed.
I guess in Europe there are Julia Meetups in London and Zürich only, and it
would be nice to have Berlin come in next.

David Higgins

Feb 27, 2015, 4:47:05 PM2/27/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hans,

I'm definitely tempted but I want to gauge the interest here first. So far we have only two of us reporting as being in Berlin and two who will be in town occasionally. There are git commits coming from Berlin on the map of Julia commits one of the MIT guys posted a few days ago, but those are based upon self reported github location (I think mine puts me in Chicago).

David.

Jiahao Chen

Feb 27, 2015, 7:13:02 PM2/27/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I only have self-reported locations.

My data set contains:

@meggart, Jena, Germany
@axsk, Berlin
@purzelrakete, Berlin
@fschueler, Berlin
@dirkschumacher, Berlin
@kashif, Berlin, Germany
@joidegn, Berlin

Thanks,

Jiahao Chen
Staff Research Scientist
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory

jung....@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2015, 9:41:45 AM2/28/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I'm based in Berlin and have switched to Julia from R for my current research project (credit risk modelling) Humboldt University. I have about 1 year of experience with Julia. I'm interested in pretty much anything that's above entry level.

Felix

Keyan Ghazi-Zahedi

Feb 28, 2015, 3:44:07 PM2/28/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I'm based in Berlin and Leipzig.

Max Suster

Feb 28, 2015, 4:28:15 PM2/28/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com

I will be moving to Berlin and interested in joining the meetups when time permits.

Alex

Mar 3, 2015, 6:31:06 AM3/3/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi together,

As you might know the Spring Meeting of the German Physical Society is held in Berlin from 15/03 to 20/03. Maybe this would be an opportunity to have a (small) Julia meeting/get-together of some sort? There certainly must be some Julians among the ~6k participants ...

Best,

Alex.

David Higgins

Mar 5, 2015, 8:14:09 AM3/5/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Alex: I'm not around on those dates, but you should definitely go ahead and meet up there!

I was thinking of probably using Meet-up to try to organise a Users Group meeting. Does anyone know of any other site which offers similar functionality? (for free??)

I'm particularly interested in meeting existing users to hear how they use the language. With every new programming language you learn there are a bunch of bad habits you initially develop in your programming. I'm hoping to use this interaction to remove them from my Julia coding. Also, I'd like exposure to the wider Julia Libraries which I don't encounter in my daily work.

David.

Felix Jung

Mar 6, 2015, 3:04:59 AM3/6/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

why not use meetup? I sure got the feeling it'a the go-to platform for this sort of thing.

Good thinking on those julia best practices. I do have the feeling I'm not doing things the best way (i.e. I specify function parameter types almost all the time, despite knowing I don't have to).

Hope this works out somehow.

Felix

Viral Shah

Mar 22, 2015, 6:38:05 AM3/22/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Is there a meetup setup?

I am in Cologne until Wednesday, and may visit Berlin after that for a couple of days. Would love to meet up with julia users in either of these cities if something is getting set up.

-viral

Simon Danisch

Mar 22, 2015, 6:54:42 AM3/22/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I could schedule my Berlin visit for this time frame.
When exactly would you be in Berlin?
I could stay in Berlin up to Friday.

Best,
Simon

Viral Shah

Mar 22, 2015, 6:56:28 AM3/22/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Thinking of being there Thursday-Saturday.

-viral

David Higgins

Mar 22, 2015, 8:03:08 AM3/22/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I haven't set anything up yet. I have been working in Cambridge. I'll be back in Berlin from tonight.

I would be very interested in meeting you guys too. Wednesday and Friday night would work best for me, but if necessary I'll come on Thursday.

David.

Simon Danisch

Mar 22, 2015, 11:40:19 AM3/22/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Cool!
I've just worked out the details and it seems that I can be available only the whole of Thursday (and earlier).
If this fits we can try to organize something!

Best,
Simon

Felix Jung

Mar 22, 2015, 4:45:13 PM3/22/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Wow, cool stuff!

Sisyphuss

Mar 23, 2015, 5:29:06 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
It may be a bit out of topic, but I wonder whether there are any Julia users in France, particularly in Paris.

Fabian Gans

Mar 23, 2015, 5:53:39 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am based in Jena and in case you organize a meeting on Thursday, I would be interested to join. Please let me know about your plans.

Fabian

David Higgins

Mar 23, 2015, 6:05:15 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to suggest:

Thursday 26th March, 7pm at St. Oberholz (Rosenthaler Straße 72A)

It's one of those co-working places with a bar/cafe/restaurant on the ground floor. We could reserve a table in the cafe and just see who shows up. I can call them if that sounds reasonable.

If people are constrained to a daytime meetup I can probably arrange space at the TU (Ernst-Reuter Platz), it's holiday time so the place is empty.

David.

Simon Danisch

Mar 23, 2015, 6:12:14 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!!
I'll definitely be there, as I already booked my tickets ;)

Best,
Simon

Viral Shah

Mar 23, 2015, 6:16:12 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a plan. Let’s reserve a table. Seems like there already are 3-4 people interested.

-viral

Milan Bouchet-Valat

Mar 23, 2015, 7:14:29 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Le lundi 23 mars 2015 à 02:29 -0700, Sisyphuss a écrit :
> It may be a bit out of topic, but I wonder whether there are any Julia
> users in France, particularly in Paris.
I'm in Paris. Nice to see that other people are around.

Regards

David Higgins

Mar 23, 2015, 8:07:18 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Reservation made in the name of Higgins, for 7pm on Thursday. If anyone has trouble finding us they can call 01578 -4-30-50-44.

St. Oberholz, Rosenthaler Straße 72A, 10119 Berlin

I've booked for 8 people; I think that's reasonable for now. Please post your attendance in this thread so that I can change the booking if we're likely to be twice that number.

See you then!

David.

Felix Schüler

Mar 23, 2015, 8:46:24 AM3/23/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I will be there.

Felix

Fabian Gans

Mar 24, 2015, 3:56:06 AM3/24/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I will not be there. 7 seems to be too late for me to get back to Jena the same day.

Fabian

Simon Danisch

Mar 24, 2015, 6:07:40 AM3/24/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com

My train leaves at 9pm (at least the train station is close), so I'd probably go there 1-2 hours early and see who drops by.
Felix Schüler would come earlier as well ;)
@David Higgins
Do we need to call them to adjust this properly?

Viral Shah

Mar 25, 2015, 2:26:16 AM3/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
How about we aim for 5pm in that case? I think I can make it by then. Does that work for others?

-viral

David Higgins

Mar 25, 2015, 4:37:33 AM3/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Both times are fine with me, I just need to change the reservation if we go with that.

By my count, from the thread above the following people are probably coming:
Viral Shah
Simon Danisch
Felix Schueler
David Higgins
Felix Jung? ("wow, cool stuff" :) )
Fabian Gans?? (Jena)
One other person contacted me off-list to say they'll come if some travel arrangements work out.

The first four are ok with an earlier meeting time. I imagine it's getting late for Fabian to arrange a train from Jena, but 5pm would certainly work better for him.

So, any objections to changing from 7pm to 5pm? (ie. who's lurking out there and hasn't replied yet but was hoping to come?)

David.

Felix Jung

Mar 25, 2015, 6:54:09 AM3/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys. Would have loved to come but can't make it on that date. If we make this a regular thing I'd be happy to participate in an active manner.

Have fun,

Felix

Keyan Ghazi-Zahedi

Mar 25, 2015, 10:05:07 AM3/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I won’t make it either, but I hope that I can join in on some other day.

Cheers,
Keyan

David Higgins

Mar 25, 2015, 11:19:01 AM3/25/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Reservation changed:

Thursday, 26th March, 5pm at St. Oberholz, Rosenthaler Straße 72A

It's still in my name (Higgins).

Looking forward to seeing you then,
David.

Max Suster

Mar 26, 2015, 5:55:02 PM3/26/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com

I would have loved to join too, but it was too short notice for me. . .
I will definitely do this regularly (and be happy to help) once I have settled in Berlin.

Max

David Higgins

May 30, 2016, 9:34:13 AM5/30/16
to julia-users
Hi all,

I've announced a new meet-up with a visiting speaker here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/julia-users/S3eMY64c_dE

Hope to see you in two weeks.

David.

David Higgins

Jun 16, 2016, 11:26:10 AM6/16/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Felix,

Please join the (Julia Users Berlin) Google Group to find out about the
next meetup.

David.

On 25/03/2015 11:54, Felix Jung wrote:
> Sorry guys. Would have loved to come but can't make it on that date. If
> we make this a regular thing I'd be happy to participate in an active
> manner.
>
> Have fun,
>
> Felix
>
> On 25 Mar 2015, at 09:37, David Higgins <daithio...@gmail.com

David Higgins

Jun 16, 2016, 12:11:08 PM6/16/16
to julia-users, da...@uiginn.com
Sorry all, that was a mispost (sent by email). But since I did it, here is the link to the Julia Users Berlin discussion group. Please join if you want to attend the meet-ups here in Berlin:

David.

Henri Girard

Jun 20, 2016, 4:52:51 AM6/20/16
to julia-users
I am in Angers france  (300 kms from paris) 1h30 in TGV. I am starting using ijulia, I use sage.