Installs .5.0 dev on unbuntu instead of .4.6

Christopher Fisher

Jul 22, 2016, 7:43:21 PM7/22/16
to julia-users
Hi all-

I'm trying reinstall Julia .4.6 on Ubuntu 16.04. For some reason when I follow the platform specific instructions, it installs .5.0 dev instead of the stable version .4.6. Is there a way to install .4.6? Unfortunately, .5 dev is unstable and doesn't work with Juno.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yichao Yu

Jul 22, 2016, 8:05:19 PM7/22/16
to Julia Users
On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 7:43 PM, Christopher Fisher
<fish...@miamioh.edu> wrote:
> Hi all-
>
> I'm trying reinstall Julia .4.6 on Ubuntu 16.04. For some reason when I
> follow the platform specific instructions, it installs .5.0 dev instead of
> the stable version .4.6. Is there a way to install .4.6? Unfortunately, .5
> dev is unstable and doesn't work with Juno.

Use the generic binary.

cdm

Jul 22, 2016, 8:36:52 PM7/22/16
to julia-users

John Best

Jul 22, 2016, 8:45:23 PM7/22/16
to julia-users
Make sure you're using the release ppa (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:staticfloat/juliareleases)and not the nightlies ppa (sudo apt-add-repository ppa:staticfloat/julianightlies). Try

sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:staticfloat/julianightlies
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:staticfloat/juliareleases
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall julia

(not positive on the last command, but it's worth a try).

See http://askubuntu.com/questions/307/how-can-ppas-be-removed for removing repos.

Fisher, Christopher

Jul 22, 2016, 9:06:16 PM7/22/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone. I couldn't figure out a solution based on installing the binaries (I'm new to linux) or the forum. In my case, John's code worked for me, except I had to omit --reinstall julia from the last command.

I think part of this issue was that a file was left behind when I installed a nightly, causing it to grab the old .5.0 dev version.  My best guess is that the first command (sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:staticfloat/julianightlies) removed this file.

Hopefully the installation process isn't this convoluted in the future!

Thanks again.