Can I keep some things compiled?

LarryD

Jul 28, 2015, 11:27:56 AM7/28/15
to julia-users
When I start Juno, I wait ~10 secs for "spinning .... " to complete. Then if I need, say, "using pyplot", I wait another ~15 secs. I am just learning Julia, so I often make mistakes in my test programs, and it's not uncommon to need to interrupt Julia to stop something I inadvertently created. But then I have to go back through "using pyplot" + whatever else my program needs.  Is there any way to separate stuff that's already compiled from stuff that I'm working on so that the already compiled stuff can stay compiled?

Thanks

Yichao Yu

Jul 28, 2015, 11:30:26 AM7/28/15
to Julia Users
On 0.4 yes. https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/8745

> Thanks

felip...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2015, 11:33:59 AM7/28/15
to julia-users, larryd...@gmail.com
On 0.3, I think your best option is to build a custom system image with precompiled modules on it.
On 0.4, there´s added support for incremental module precompilation using Base.compile(:module).