JuliaCon 2016: Call For Proposals

Pontus Stenetorp

Jan 25, 2016, 5:19:17 PM1/25/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
JuliaCon 2016
June 21st-25th, 2016
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
http://juliacon.org/

Proposal submission form: http://goo.gl/forms/eXlP0KsQ1U
Call for Participation closes: March 18th, 11:59pm SST
Estimated notification: March 31st

JuliaCon 2016, the third annual meeting of the Julia programming language
community, will take place on June 21st-25th at the Massachusetts Institute of
Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. On behalf of the organisers I am
happy to announce that the proposal submission process is now open!

We encourage everyone to consider submitting a proposal, regardless of your
level of experience with Julia. Over the years JuliaCon presentations have
ranged from introductory to advanced, been from industry and academia, covering
topics such as:

* Scientific computing
* Bioinformatics
* Data visualization
* Economics
* Machine learning
* Numerical optimization
* Statistics
* Web development
* And more!

Previous presentation titles, abstracts, and videos are available online:

* http://juliacon.org/2014/
* http://juliacon.org/2015/talks.html

If you are interested in speaking at JuliaCon and share your experience with
Julia, we encourage you to submit a proposal.

# Presentation types #

* Talks are 30 minutes long with 5 minutes allocated for questions from
the audience.
* Lightning talks are 10 minutes long with 2 minutes allocated for questions
from the audience.
* Workshops are two to three hours long and are either in-depth tutorials
or interactive hackathon sessions.

# Proposal advice #

* Submit proposals early as it allows us to contact you and give feedback to
improve your proposal if there are issues with it.
* When thinking about what makes a good topic, it may be a good idea to ask
yourself what kind of presentation that would make you excited.
* Great talks are generally about your own experience. How do you use Julia in
your work? What makes a specific package good and how does it work? How
does Julia affect you and your code?
* It may be a good idea to review previous presentations for inspiration and
ideas on how to write your title and abstract.
* If you are presenting about a certain project, package, or company, include
links to guide the reader to more information.
* Try not to assume familiarity with your subject when writing the abstract,
the average reader is most likely not an expert in your area of expertise.
* Avoid opaque titles, while witty is good, an informative title is essential.
* Avoid infomercials, while we love to hear how you use Julia in your company
JuliaCon is not the place to sell your product.
* If you want feedback before submitting a proposal, contact us at
juli...@googlegroups.com well ahead of the deadline. We are more than
happy to help you improve upon your proposal.

We look forward to your proposals and seeing you at JuliaCon 2016.

On behalf of the JuliaCon 2016 organisers,
Pontus Stenetorp
JuliaCon 2016 Program Chair
Research Associate
University College London