Package installation directory: dealing with multiple Julia version

Giulio Valentino Dalla Riva

Sep 24, 2014, 11:41:33 PM9/24/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
The issue is concerned with Julia's packages install directory.

We successfully installed Julia on the department Linux server ("central Julia") and I have a personal installation on a local area ("my Julia").
At the moment my install directory is ~/.julia/version/ for both mine and central Julia.
Any other user (who may access only to central Julia) have an equivalent ~/.julia/version/, with a different home.

I'd like to change the behavior of central Julia so that all packages will be installed in central shared directory (namely, "/usr/local/julia/packages/v030").
But I do not want to change the behavior of my Julia.

Hence, changing the env JULIA_PKGDIR is not a good idea.

Do you think it may be possible?

Tim Holy

Sep 25, 2014, 5:16:28 AM9/25/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I do this by defining JULIA_PKGDIR to be the central repository, and then define
an alias "myjulia" that starts up as
JULIA_PKGDIR=/my/path julia

--Tim

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 08:41:33 PM Giulio Valentino Dalla Riva

Giulio Valentino Dalla Riva

Sep 30, 2014, 5:48:24 AM9/30/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Wouldn't this also change the behavior of my Julia?

Tim Holy

Sep 30, 2014, 6:14:41 AM9/30/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, September 30, 2014 02:48:23 AM Giulio Valentino Dalla Riva wrote:
> Wouldn't this also change the behavior of my Julia?

Not if you have different aliases, `myjulia` and `centraljulia`. You can define
each one to do something different.

--Tim

Giulio Valentino Dalla Riva

Sep 30, 2014, 4:35:48 PM9/30/14
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Gotcha! I'll try that now. Thanks!

Kevin Liu

Aug 29, 2016, 8:01:31 PM8/29/16
to julia-users
Hi Tim, I changed my package directory on OSX to be in Google Drive, but using the package on the REPL calls it from the default location, /.julia/v0.4... How do I change using to call the package from Google Drive? Thanks, Kevin