Blob detection and size measurement in Julia?

Alex Mellnik

Aug 26, 2016, 11:11:44 PM8/26/16
to julia-users
Hi,

I'm attempting to measure the size and position of roughly spherical, well-defined objects in images using Julia.  I don't have any previous experience working with images and was wondering if anyone could point me toward the appropriate library/function.

I know that there's a blob_LoG in Images.jl which appears to do roughly what I'm interested in, but I may be mistaken and it looks my images will need pre-processing as I haven't yet been able to get a non-null result.  There's also the new ImageFeatures.jl and bindings for OpenCV, but neither have much in the way of documentation yet.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide,

Alex

Tim Holy

Aug 27, 2016, 7:05:30 AM8/27/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
Good catch. Looks like the edge-handling in `findlocalmaxima` needed to be a
bit more refined---it was discarding results from the first and last sigma-
values supplied by the user.

I may have fixed this in https://github.com/timholy/Images.jl/commit/
7336f35c824b15de9e4d0def8e739bdeb6ed3b3d, can you do `Pkg.checkout("Images")`
and test?

Best,
--Tim

On Friday, August 26, 2016 8:11:44 PM CDT Alex Mellnik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to measure the size and position of roughly spherical,
> well-defined objects in images using Julia. I don't have any previous
> experience working with images and was wondering if anyone could point me
> toward the appropriate library/function.
>
> I know that there's a blob_LoG
> <http://timholy.github.io/Images.jl/stable/function_reference/#Images.blob_L
> oG> in Images.jl which appears to do roughly what I'm interested in, but I

Alex Mellnik

Aug 29, 2016, 3:13:32 PM8/29/16
to julia-users
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the update.  After pulling the master I was able to detect some blobs depending on what I used for the sigmas.  However, I realized the problem of actually tracking the areas of the blobs between frames was quite a bit more complicated than I originally thought, and I've punted it back to my brother.  Best,

Alex