Julia for Newbie Programmer.

Adrian Felismino

Jun 28, 2016, 11:44:13 AM6/28/16
to julia-users
I got lost even I read the julia manual. I have Python Basics Programming Language but I can't comprehend simple things in julia like input("") function in python.
any advise?

Stefan Karpinski

Jun 28, 2016, 11:45:46 AM6/28/16
to Julia Users
You could try some of the intro materials at http://julialang.org/learning/, especially in the "Tutorials" section.

Patrick Kofod Mogensen

Jun 29, 2016, 5:17:54 AM6/29/16
to julia-users
This may not be the advice you are looking for, but do you have a specific problem you want to solve? I started programming by reading texts online about C - and it killed my enthusiasm. People are different, but I didn't "get" programming before I had a problem I actually wanted solved!

Daniel Carrera

Jun 29, 2016, 9:49:31 AM6/29/16
to julia-users
Hello,

Yeah... Julia is different from Python. Functions will have different names and do different things. Let's take your `input()` example. You want to print something to the screen and read a value from the user. You would go to the Julia manual,

Then scroll down till you find the "I/O and Networking" section, because the problem you are trying to solve is related to I/O. Reading through it you'll find that Julia does not have any function that is really equivalent to the input() function of Python. This is actually something that programs don't do very often, and it is easy to write your own. The closest thing is the function readline() which reads a value. With it, you can make your own input() function, like this:

function input(prompt)
    print(prompt)
    return readline()
end

Then you can look around that section to get a better sense of how Julia does I/O.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Adrian Felismino

Jun 30, 2016, 9:10:51 AM6/30/16
to julia-users

On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 5:17:54 PM UTC+8, Patrick Kofod Mogensen wrote:
This may not be the advice you are looking for, but do you have a specific problem you want to solve? I started programming by reading texts online about C - and it killed my enthusiasm. People are different, but I didn't "get" programming before I had a problem I actually wanted solved!

oh thanks for your advise. it's helps.

Adrian Felismino

Jun 30, 2016, 9:11:34 AM6/30/16
to julia-users
thanks for your answer. I really appreciate it.

Henri Girard

Jun 30, 2016, 10:36:41 AM6/30/16
to julia-users
I am beginner too... Before using ijulia I used sagemath. So I have tons of programs to convert. Even with sagemath I am not an expert, but with mailing list (julia and others...) one can quickly get an answer. Julia mailing list is very quick answering, if you don't get an answer after one day better reformulate your question ! lol... My domain is oscillator, RLC mainly, and when I started julia I noticed there was not really much manual about that. On the other hand they are very specialized notebook too hard for me. What I like in julia is notebook ijulia (very usefull to take not in markdown and latex, symbols use (\tab) I like very much to write maths as it is in docs. For plotting I use pyplot and Plots, pyplot is very near python (matplotlib). So good luck and practice.
Regards
Henri