translating julia

Henri Girard

Sep 28, 2016, 3:49:32 AM9/28/16
to julia-users
I went to french translation startet to translate but can't see it on julialang.org ?
it's not actualized ?
Regards

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Sep 28, 2016, 4:26:03 AM9/28/16
to julia-users
Hello Henri!

Currently French is about 0% translated, we are adding to production the languages that at minimum have the home page translated 90 %, but you can see the current progress of all the languages in the staging site here:

You can see here a video I did tonight, were I am translating, in order to give a taste of the workflow involved in doing this with Transifex Live.

Please let me know if you have any doubt and I will gladly help you as much as I can and thank you very much for your interest and support to this project.

Cheers,
Ismael Venegas Castelló

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Sep 28, 2016, 4:27:29 AM9/28/16
to julia-users
I forgot to link the video I mentioned, oops

henri....@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2016, 4:30:09 AM9/28/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

thanks...

henri....@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2016, 5:46:03 AM9/28/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ismael,

Looking at the git julialanges, one older french translation is showing (not mine) and above is mine still in english ?

Is there a gap between translation and display ?

Just for information.

henri....@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2016, 5:54:51 AM9/28/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

I am wondering if one must write the html mark when translating ?

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Sep 28, 2016, 12:08:56 PM9/28/16
to julia-users
Hi Henri!

In order to watch your content updated in the staging site, one of the project administrators have to push your changes to staging. I usually do this several times a day or at least once a day. The Transifex Live feature uses the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) approach, so you will see your changes reflected in staging (after pushing them) and it will be exactly the same output.

If you'd like to show and share your current language status in staging to other friends, you could ping me at the current julia-i18n chat room @Ismael-VC (https://gitter.im/JuliaLangEs/julia-i18n) and I will try to update the staging site ASAP and send you a notification once it's done. Please focus your efforts at the beginning in translating 100% the Julia home page, so your language translations can be added to the production site, don't forget to notify me when this is done, so I can push your translations to production ASAP.

I am wondering if one must write the html mark when translating ?

Yes, please check out the following images:

The first one show a "copy" button used to copy the current string in it's original language to the translation text box, this will copy the HTML portions too as is!

In the standard editor (not the live one!) you can select the option to show this extended HTML

If you do not format the string translation correctly, Transifex won't allow you to save the string!

Note: I have pushed to staging just now!

As always if you have any other doubt, please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll try to help you ASAP, thanks for your support in this project.

Cheers,
Ismael Venegas Castelló

henri....@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2016, 12:48:23 PM9/28/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

Thank you... It's displaying and I noticed already some syntax errors.

Best

Henri

henri....@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2016, 3:19:46 AM9/29/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ismael,

I would like to translate "home" first,  but I noticed it's difficult to find all text about it ?

Is there a way to research a precise text ?

I already translated a good part of it but I need to see it so that I can be sûre of that.

Best
Henri

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Sep 29, 2016, 5:48:50 PM9/29/16
to julia-users
Hello Henri!

Just a question, you are aishenri in GitHub right? Because I answered this same question at julia-i18n chat room at Gitter, just want to make sure, I don't want to leave any question unanswered.

Cheers
Ismael Venegas Castelló

henri....@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2016, 2:30:35 AM9/30/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

 Hi Ismael

That's it. I8 I have a little github with forks to put my examples. I read gitter and saw that most of translation was on stating now.

I found the search field on translation page.

Thanks

Best Henri

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Oct 8, 2016, 10:59:09 AM10/8/16
to julia-users
I got a mail today and I published a response, but I'm not sure why it doesn't show up here, so I'll paste it verbatim:

Hi Milan!

Thank you for stating your concern,

but I'm worried that we completely destroy the professional aspect of the website

I agree with you but, I think that we need a banner in the julia website stating that the translations are not done by professionals but by volunteers and also inviting them to join and improve the translations in their own languages.

I'll activate another option that is more strict, in which only reviewed translations will be able to be shown in the website (as opposed to only translated but un reviewed ones), but anyway, since this is a collaborative effort we need to work as a team. For example Transifex doesn't prohibit someone of reviewing his/her own translations, even when I've tried to make clear that this is not a good practice, there is no way to enforce it.

However, please join the French team and un review, comment and correct the strings in order to improve the quality, there is no other way (other than paying for professional translations).

The team is small but growing, and the project has just started, if we state publicly that the translations are crowd sourced by the community and an ongoing progress, then I'm sure no one will expect them to be of professional grade yet, and no reputation will be affected.

Expecting professional translation from the get go, is unrealistic without investing money into the project. And waiting, g for all the crowd sourced translations to become of professional grade, would kill the motivation of the contributors, as this has already happened, the project was stagnant for 1+ year (with the infrastructure already being ready and tested). If the project had continued, maybe today we would already have much more complete translations of near professional grade.

So I think the best way to approach this is not to be conservative, but to be open and transparent, so we can get more help and others can't be disappointed for the current status, and the reputation of all, not only of the Julia project, but also of the contributors that are willing to translate for us, remains intact and even become more positive.

Think synergy!

Regards,
Ismael Venegas Castelló

Hi!

I really appreciate the progress of translations of the website. But
I've just realized the French version of the site contains lots of
mistakes, including incorrect translations, typos, and case issues. In
some cases one cannot understand what the sentence means.

Can I recommend extra care when translating Julia? Typically,
translations shouldn't be done by a single person, and should only be
published after having been reviewed by another contributor. The rule
should be that it's better to have an English sentence than a broken
approximately translated one. Translations can do more harm than good
without a lot of care.

Sorry for sounding too negative, but I'm worried that we completely
destroy the professional aspect of the website by having random people
do weird things in each language no core developer understands. It's
very hard to keep control over that. Do you know whether the French
team is organized yet?

Regards

Le vendredi 30 septembre 2016 à 08:30 +0200,  a
écrit :

>  Hi Ismael
> That's it. I8 I have a little github with forks to put my examples. I
> read gitter and saw that most of translation was on stating now.
> I found the search field on translation page.
> Thanks
> Best Henri
>
> Le 29/09/2016 à 23:48, Ismael Venegas Castelló a écrit :
> > Hello Henri!
> >
> > Just a question, you are aishenri in GitHub right? Because I
> > answered this same question at julia-i18n chat room at Gitter, just
> > want to make sure, I don't want to leave any question unanswered.
> >
> > https://gitter.im/JuliaLangEs/julia-i18n?at=57ed5568be5dec755007a21
> >
> > Cheers
> > Ismael Venegas Castelló

henri....@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2016, 11:30:36 AM10/8/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

Personally I think it's better to have translated web even if it doesn't look professional. I understood that it would be interesting that more people participated to translation ?

Milan if you find mistakes of mine (I surely do !) better correcting them I wouldn't be angry... But telling me that it would be better not to translate them is a bit too much. Maybe in your professional position you say what you want but with people who are doing there best to improved translation I think it is displaced !

Regards

Henri

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Oct 8, 2016, 10:11:38 PM10/8/16
to julia-users
I'll leave this references here.

Attract more contributors to i18n #428

https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com/issues/428

Julia-i18n dashboard

https://github.com/Julia-i18n/julia-i18n/projects/1

Milan Bouchet-Valat

Oct 10, 2016, 9:11:50 PM10/10/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
(Sorry, this message was apparently blocked since Saturday. Sending it
again.)

Le samedi 08 octobre 2016 à 07:59 -0700, Ismael Venegas Castelló a
écrit :

> I got a mail today and I published a response, but I'm not sure why
> it doesn't show up here, so I'll paste it verbatim:
OK, I had kept it private to avoid sounding too negative and risking
discouraging contributors. But since you made it public... :-)

> Hi Milan!
>
> Thank you for stating your concern,
>

> >  but I'm worried that we completely destroy the professional aspect
> of the website
>
> I agree with you but, I think that we need a banner in the julia
> website stating that the translations are not done by professionals
> but by volunteers and also inviting them to join and improve the
> translations in their own languages.
>
> I'll activate another option that is more strict, in which only
> reviewed translations will be able to be shown in the website (as
> opposed to only translated but un reviewed ones), but anyway, since
> this is a collaborative effort we need to work as a team. For example
> Transifex doesn't prohibit someone of reviewing his/her own
> translations, even when I've tried to make clear that this is not a
> good practice, there is no way to enforce it.
OK, it's great that you can require reviews before publishing. That
should really improve the quality of translations, even if people can
cheat (in general, I think we can assume good faith from contributors).

> However, please join the French team and un review, comment and
> correct the strings in order to improve the quality, there is no
> other way (other than paying for professional translations).
>
> The team is small but growing, and the project has just started, if
> we state publicly that the translations are crowd sourced by the
> community and an ongoing progress, then I'm sure no one will expect
> them to be of professional grade yet, and no reputation will be
> affected.
>
> Expecting professional translation from the get go, is unrealistic
> without investing money into the project. And waiting, g for all the
> crowd sourced translations to become of professional grade, would
> kill the motivation of the contributors, as this has already
> happened, the project was stagnant for 1+ year (with the
> infrastructure already being ready and tested). If the project had
> continued, maybe today we would already have much more complete
> translations of near professional grade.
>
> So I think the best way to approach this is not to be conservative,
> but to be open and transparent, so we can get more help and others
> can't be disappointed for the current status, and the reputation of
> all, not only of the Julia project, but also of the contributors that
> are willing to translate for us, remains intact and even become more
> positive.
Sure, I don't expect a professional level from the start. But I think
we'd better validate the translations slowly so that they are only
online when teams are confident about them, than rush to publish poor
quality translations. As you note, teams need some time to be set up.

I've just joined the French team and made a suggestion, but I'm not
sure I have the permissions to review other's translations. For
example, who's in charge of deciding whether my suggestion is better
than the existing one?

Keep up the good work. I'm sure in the end it will be great -- I'd just
like to ensure we don't have to go through a too messy period with
broken translations everywhere.

Regards

> Think synergy!
>
> Regards,
> Ismael Venegas Castelló

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Oct 13, 2016, 8:23:02 PM10/13/16
to julia-users
Hello Milan,

I have already changed the review option, so now only the reviewed strings are shown in production, un reviewed strings are still shown in staging. I have named you team administrator so you can review and even organize the French team, if there is anything else I can do for you, please do let me know, thank you very much!

Cheers!