Names of functions exported by RCall

Douglas Bates

Jan 7, 2015, 11:25:49 AM1/7/15
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I'm considering naming conventions for functions exported by the RCall package.  There is an exported submodule called R containing functions that have the same name as the R function that gets called.  Right now I have a few functions in there (str,library,class,inherits,levels) that I find convenient.  I don't think there is a big problem with adding functions in there as users require them.  They should be relatively lightweight.

The more important question is what names should be exported from the R interface.  Right now I have functions

Reval - evaluate an expression or symbol
Rparse - parse a string and return an expression object
Rprint - call R's print on an object

To maintain consistency with PyCall and with general Julia conventions, I think that these functions should be renamed to reval, rparse and R.print - the last one because it functions like the print function in R.  Perhaps there should also be a function that parses a string then evaluates the result, although a name like revalparse(...) is not much of an improvement on reval(rparse(...)).

Bikeshedding welcomed.