RCall.jl gets a REPL mode

Randy Lai

Jun 21, 2016, 4:05:36 AM6/21/16
to julia-stats

RCall.jl has been updated to support REPL model. Check how easy to use ggplot2.

The new feature is only available on the master branch.

Stefan Karpinski

Jun 21, 2016, 8:41:15 AM6/21/16
to julia-stats
Very nice!

Gabriel Gellner

Jun 21, 2016, 12:13:04 PM6/21/16
to julia-stats
Holy moly that looks amazing.

Is this not supported in Windows? I try to do the '$' and I don't get the R prompt.

Gabriel

Gabriel Gellner

Jun 21, 2016, 12:17:43 PM6/21/16
to julia-stats
Never mind, I just needed to checkout master. Stupid amazing. This is serious wizardry. Thank you so much.

David Anthoff

Jun 21, 2016, 1:04:54 PM6/21/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

Yes, congrats and thanks to Randy, I think this is my favorite new feature in a very long time. It just really believe this is a game changer for many people that are coming from R, it makes for an incredibly smooth workflow in a typical data analysis session.

Cheers,

David

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bmXdr3g7Rc4/V2j05bB68OI/AAAAAAAAH28/6xZycJcAqWMyZ0BxCtMm-bnxEQAfHm0aQCLcB/s1600/ggplot.png

jock....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2016, 7:40:02 PM6/21/16
to julia-stats
Nice!
I second David's comment - this removes a major barrier for R programmers starting out with Julia.

Ista Zahn

Jun 22, 2016, 1:41:30 PM6/22/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
This is really great, and prompted me to finally dive into Julia. It seems that using `$` to switch to an R prompt only works in a full terminal emulator. I tried Atom/Juno, IJulia, and Emacs/ESS, none of them worked. Is there another way to switch between the Julia and R REPLs?

Thanks,
Ista

David Anthoff

Jun 22, 2016, 1:51:18 PM6/22/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

I don’t think so… I don’t think REPL modes are made available anywhere other than the normal julia prompt.

Randy Lai

Jun 22, 2016, 3:58:13 PM6/22/16
to julia-stats
In other platforms, you could always use the R"" macro. For example,

R"""
# some r code
""";

Diego Javier Zea

Jun 23, 2016, 12:02:01 PM6/23/16
to julia-stats
That's awesome! :D

In IJulia I find the R"...R code here $( Julia variable )..." syntax very handy.

Best & thanks for doing this!

Ista Zahn

Jun 23, 2016, 12:05:28 PM6/23/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Diego Javier Zea <dieg...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's awesome! :D

​What Diego said. I feel like this gives me training wheels while I learn Juila. I'm writing my first real julia code now!

Patrick Kofod Mogensen

Jun 29, 2016, 8:30:16 AM6/29/16
to julia-stats
Just saw this today, super cool! Very handy!