Coordinated effort to ready JuliaStats packages for v0.5

Douglas Bates

May 10, 2016, 2:50:33 PM5/10/16
to julia-stats
Many packages owned by the JuliaStats are throwing lots of warnings in v0.5-dev.  Some, like DataArrays, throw errors.  It seems that

Pkg.test("DataFrames")

gets stuck.

As v0.5 is to be released in time for JuliaCon it may be good to start on code cleansing for v0.5.  However, I don't want to duplicate effort by others.

May I suggest that those who want to participate in such a code cleanup either post their intentions in this thread or notify Simon Byrne or ...?

Andreas Noack

May 10, 2016, 2:57:41 PM5/10/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually looking into some of this now. The main problem is DataArrays. The indexing code is really difficult and the same us true for the indexing code in base. It is probably only Tim Holy and Matt Bauman who understand it.

I think Simon Kornblith did most of the work on indexing in DataArrays but I think he is trying to finish his PhD.

Andreas Noack

May 10, 2016, 11:43:26 PM5/10/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com
I managed to get through DataArrays.jl. See https://github.com/JuliaStats/DataArrays.jl/pull/185. It will probably need some adjustments for 0.4 but we'll only know exactly which after Compat.jl has been updated with all the string changes.