Problem when building

Neuwirth Erich

May 7, 2012, 6:11:50 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I tried to start a building process on a new machine today.
I did a git clone of the master branch and then make.
make stopped because it tried to download deps/libuv via https which produced an http error.
Doing git clone manually instead seems to solve the problem.

Should this be fixed?

Stefan Karpinski

May 7, 2012, 6:20:32 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Did your manual clone also use the https URL?

Bill Hart

May 7, 2012, 10:15:44 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I had the same problem, but just changed it to git instead of https.

Bill.

Stefan Karpinski

May 7, 2012, 10:21:12 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
That's why I was asking about the clone URLs. I was trying to suss out if it was an SSL certificate checking failure or not. Using git URLs will work, but doesn't provide any authentication for the data transfer, which is suboptimal — we want to be sure that people are getting the real code, which is why all of GitHub uses HTTPS in the first place. The plain git protocol (sans SSH) does no authentication.

Keno Fischer

May 7, 2012, 10:23:31 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Not to mention the ability to directly push code that was modified in place.

Stefan Karpinski

May 7, 2012, 10:32:45 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I think that without a user name in the HTTPS URL, you still can't do that.

Patrick O'Leary

May 7, 2012, 10:33:59 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Possibly this, though I'd expect it to fail for everything, not just the submodule.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3777075/https-github-access

Keno Fischer

May 7, 2012, 10:36:19 PM5/7/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Yeah you can. It will prompt you for your username.

Neuwirth Erich

May 8, 2012, 3:55:49 AM5/8/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
No,
i used the git url.

Patrick O'Leary

May 8, 2012, 8:23:36 AM5/8/12
to juli...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, May 8, 2012 2:55:49 AM UTC-5, neuwirthe wrote:
No,
i used the git url.

The submodule is defined with the https url, so it's definitely http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3777075/https-github-access then. If you use Debian or Ubuntu, install the "ca-certificates" package. Other distros have something similar, and manual instructions for loading certificates are on the Stack Overflow link above.