[GSoC 2016] Enabling Polyhedral Optimizations in Julia

Matthias Reisinger

Mar 24, 2016, 4:44:20 PM3/24/16
to julia-dev
Dear Julia contributors,

during the last weeks I extensively explored Polly, a framework for polyhedral optimizations in LLVM. From discussions with the contributors of Polly I learned that there is great interest in making it possible to integrate Polly into Julia. I plan to apply for Google Summer of Code 2016 and therefore I wanted to ask if there would be a mentor available to supervise this topic. I also created a first draft for my according project proposal which can be found here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s5mmSW965qmOEbHiM3O4XFz-Vd7cy9TxX9RQaTK_SQo/edit?usp=sharing. I also would be grateful for any comments or any kind of advice on the draft.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Matthias

Tobias Grosser

Mar 25, 2016, 1:39:28 AM3/25/16
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I would be happy to co-mentor this project from the Polly/LLVM side, but
it would be great if someone with more experience with Julia could cover
the Julia side of things as well.

Best,
Tobias

Mike Innes

Mar 25, 2016, 9:29:06 AM3/25/16
to juli...@googlegroups.com

Hey Matthias,

Sorry to not be more immediately helpful, but at this stage I recommend going ahead and submitting the proposal through the GSoC page without a mentor. If the project looks like it'd be a good fit, I'm sure we can find you a great mentor later on.

Cheers,
Mike

Tim Holy

Mar 25, 2016, 10:19:55 AM3/25/16
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Don't know what I can promise in terms of concrete help (it will depend in
part on whether I have other GSoC commitments), but it's certainly a topic I
find interesting.

Best,
--Tim

Shashi Gowda

Mar 25, 2016, 2:06:43 PM3/25/16
to julia-dev
The proposal is labeled "incomplete" on the GSoC UI, could you complete it and do the final submission ASAP?

Matthias Reisinger

Apr 15, 2016, 2:55:13 AM4/15/16
to julia-dev
Hello Shashi,

I was working on the draft until the last minute to round it down, but I handed it in on time. Nevertheless, thank you for pointing that out. I am sorry for my late response, however, it seems I don't get notified when somebody posts in my topics. I should check my settings ;)

Best regards,
Matthias

Douglas Bates

Apr 15, 2016, 6:30:39 PM4/15/16
to julia-dev
I have an initial implementation of code to read the binary files in the soon to be registered "FlatBuffers" package.  (Repository is https://github.com/dmbates/FlatBuffers.jl)

Right now the IDL file needs to be translated to Julia code by hand but the correspondence is reasonably transparent.  At the end of next week I will take a look at writing a flatbuffers/src/idl_gen_julia.cpp code unless someone beats me to it.

Matthias Reisinger

Apr 20, 2016, 3:37:03 AM4/20/16
to julia-dev
Unfortunately I am not that familiar with FlatBuffers. I see that FlatBuffer could change the memory access behavior for some code parts, but I don't expect this to pose a problem to a first integration of Polly. Does your change have any further implications that would have to be considered when optimizing Julia's LLVM code via Polly?

Best regards,
Matthias

Tony Kelman

Apr 20, 2016, 11:28:50 AM4/20/16
to julia-dev
I think Doug posted that in the wrong thread.

Matthias Reisinger

Apr 20, 2016, 11:35:23 AM4/20/16
to julia-dev
Thank you, I've already supposed it was an accident :)