Reuse Julia website's code

Xiaodong Qi

Feb 1, 2015, 3:03:04 PM2/1/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julialang.github.com website developers,

I and a few others started the JuliaQuantum organization last year, and worked out a temporary website for our organization to reach out more people. As our projects moving on, we realize we may need to be more serious about our website, logo and such. Last Dec, I wrote to StefanKarpinski who I know made the logo and some initial frameworks of the Julialang website for Julia community. I ask him for the permission to reuse the logo and the framework/style code of the Julialang website to make JuliaQuantum org's website styled as consistent as the Julialang's website. StefanKarpinski granted me the permission on adapting the works where he owns the full copyrights--mainly the julia logo. Now, I think it might be necessary to post a request here to see if there is any problem to reuse some of the code of the Julialang website for our organization's development.

What I and another JuliaQuantum member have been mainly adopting for developing our org's website are the css style files and the layout files of the webpages. An overview of the evolution of the source code of our website can be found under the dev-jekyll branch of the repository: https://github.com/JuliaQuantum/JuliaQuantum.github.io/tree/dev-jekyll
Notice that, everything is under the development branch, and is not yet online for the public access as a website.

Here are what I have basically done regarding copyrights:
1. I have claimed JuliaLang organization and corresponding developers as authors of the reused/derived work in the layout files.
2. In the LICENSE.md file draft, I did not claim any open-source license, instead, I restrict distribution and modifications of the source code for JuliaQuantum organization's projects only, and claimed all rights reserved to the original Julialang developers, later developers and the two organizations for the corresponding logos, trademarks and website style and frameworks.

I am not a law person. I appreciate if you can let me know where I should not do and should do better. I hope we can make everything clear and release the website under development some time next week or so, since members in our org are going to present JuliaQuantum's projects in a conference/workshop on Feb 19-21 and have meetups there. Also, I found there has been some discussions regarding the license of the Julialang website and logos, and it might be helpful to make the policy clearer for Julia umbrella organizations.

Thanks,
Qi

Mauro

Feb 2, 2015, 4:37:40 AM2/2/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Slightly off topic:

I just checked and was surprised that the julialang.org web-site source
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com does not have a
licence. Should it not have some sort of open source licence attached
to it and a contributing policy stipulating that any contribution will
be licensed under that licence? According to github, there are 77
contributors and thus copyright holders at the moment. Could get messy
to ever re-vamp it and having to ask permission of every contributor...

On Sun, 2015-02-01 at 21:03, Xiaodong Qi <e20...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Julialang.github.com website developers,
>
> I and a few others started the JuliaQuantum organization last year, and
> worked out a temporary website <http://juliaquantum.github.io> for our
> organization to reach out more people. As our projects moving on, we
> realize we may need to be more serious about our website, logo and such.
> Last Dec, I wrote to StefanKarpinski who I know made the logo and some
> initial frameworks of the Julialang website for Julia community. I ask him
> for the permission to reuse the logo and the framework/style code of the
> Julialang website to make JuliaQuantum org's website styled as consistent
> as the Julialang's website. StefanKarpinski granted me the permission on
> adapting the works where he owns the full copyrights--mainly the julia
> logo. Now, I think it might be necessary to post a request here to see if
> there is any problem to reuse some of the code of the Julialang website for
> our organization's development.
>
> What I and another JuliaQuantum member have been mainly adopting for
> developing our org's website are the css style files and the layout files
> of the webpages. An overview of the evolution of the source code of our
> website can be found under the dev-jekyll branch of the repository:
> https://github.com/JuliaQuantum/JuliaQuantum.github.io/tree/dev-jekyll
> Notice that, everything is under the development branch, and is not yet
> online for the public access as a website.
>
> Here are what I have basically done regarding copyrights:
> 1. I have claimed JuliaLang organization and corresponding developers as
> authors of the reused/derived work in the layout files
> <https://github.com/JuliaQuantum/JuliaQuantum.github.io/tree/dev-jekyll/_layouts>.
>
> 2. In the LICENSE.md file
> <https://github.com/JuliaQuantum/JuliaQuantum.github.io/blob/dev-jekyll/LICENSE.md>

Jiahao Chen

Feb 2, 2015, 5:06:24 AM2/2/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:27 AM, Mauro <maur...@runbox.com> wrote:
I just checked and was surprised that the julialang.org web-site source
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com does not have a
licence.

Mauro

Feb 2, 2015, 5:54:40 AM2/2/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
>> I just checked and was surprised that the julialang.org web-site source
>> https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com does not have a
>> licence.
>>

> https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com/issues/117

I see, no licence on purpose. My copyright knowledge is pretty limited
but does this not potentially make maintaining the website a nightmare?
Say, one paragraph gets moved to another page of the site, would that
need the permission of the original author? Or if I submit a pull
request to slightly adapt a sentence, could that only be merged with the
permission of the original author of that sentence?

Stefan Karpinski

Feb 2, 2015, 11:39:23 AM2/2/15
to Julia Dev
We're working on sorting out a license for the website content. In the meantime, it's best not to use it. I'll let you know how that pans out. I can give permission to use the logo; if there's any particular content you want from the website, you can ask.

Xiaodong Qi

Feb 2, 2015, 12:09:27 PM2/2/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
@StefanKarpinski, sorry, I have just sent out an email to bother all the authors of the code I would like to use or adapt to use--mainly the css style code and frameworks, almost nothing about the content shown explicitly on the web. Other contents have been provided by our members directly.

Xiaodong Qi

Feb 3, 2015, 9:36:43 PM2/3/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Thank you guys for turning into the MIT license! That makes things much easier. I am almost there to release our website based on the permission from the related people. Here are just a few left who, I guess, are either blocking emails or are busy. Hopefully someone can help and  give a poke.

Jeff Bezanson,
Jameson Nash (vtjnash) -- I contacted him in the first round, but his email is not deliverable, so to his Google+ and LinkedIn. But his contribution is on the *download* page setting which I don't really need.
Mike Nolta (nolta) -- His contribution is on choosing the font for the website, and his solution was replaced completely by others before I use. Possibly ok without his response.

@Stefan Karpinski, do you want to sign the MIT license or not?  :-) Thanks a lot!

Jameson Nash

Feb 3, 2015, 9:42:12 PM2/3/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I'm not entirely sure why my email address would be coming back as non-deliverable. My only contribution to the site has probably been to update the download links, and I'm not even sure that can be copyrighted. But anyways, I've added my assent to the PR thread.

Xiaodong Qi

Feb 3, 2015, 9:48:08 PM2/3/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
@Jameson, I can only find an email address in your name from this link: http://ssl.mit.edu/newsite/people/profile.php?key=17 Not sure if that is yours, but it returned "550 5.1.1 <jam...@mit.edu>... User unknown" from the server. You may want to check it. But thanks a lot for your prompt action!