Logs for IRC

Jan Niklas Hasse

Jul 23, 2014, 7:28:02 AM7/23/14
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I've noticed that the #julia channel on freenode hasn't any logs. I think this would be great as I often have to go offline and can't check if there have been answers in the meantime.

Can someone of the ops request an IRC logger? e. g. https://botbot.me/request/

Jan Niklas Hasse

Apr 14, 2015, 3:53:59 PM4/14/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to bump this ;)

IRC logger would be nice along with a link to it in the channel description.

Isaiah Norton

Apr 14, 2015, 3:59:13 PM4/14/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Running your own bot is probably fine, but I think automatic, public logs might make some people uncomfortable.

Jan Niklas Hasse

Apr 14, 2015, 4:31:44 PM4/14/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Why is that? Because they don't want to have it saved for all eternity what they said at some point? The log should then be configured to drop the after a week :)

The Rust IRC channel has public logs and is a lot more active, I really like asking there for a short question. My guess would be that a chat log will improve the activity on the #julia channel, as one can check for answers if he was offline for a short time or check the logs for what the current ongoing conversation is about when joining.

Isaiah Norton

Apr 14, 2015, 4:55:10 PM4/14/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

I have heard this objection before on various grounds (though now I don't remember if it was for Julia or another project). I don't really have any problem with logging, personally, but maybe that is why there was no response last time you sent this. I guess you could file an issue on the website repo if no response here.

ele...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2015, 7:24:16 PM4/14/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Also logs provide one of the only ways people in other timezones have access to many of the Julia experts (assuming that they read backlogs and reply so the answer is available in the logs).