git:// URLs in deps/Makefile

Lachlan Gunn

Nov 4, 2015, 2:28:22 PM11/4/15
to julia-dev
Hello all,

What would the feeling be towards changing the Git repository URLs in the build system from git:// to $GIT_PROTO or something similar?  I'm currently needing to maintain my own copy of this file due to firewall issues, so if such a change would be considered acceptable then I'd like to go ahead and submit a pull request.

Thanks,
Lachlan

Isaiah Norton

Nov 4, 2015, 2:30:26 PM11/4/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
That would probably be ok, but you should be able to get around the issue with the setting described here:

Lachlan Gunn

Nov 4, 2015, 2:42:08 PM11/4/15
to julia-dev
Ah, true that.  Personally I would prefer to have a configuration option in the build system to avoid the need for system-wide overrides (people might have local git repos after all), but since Julia has reached 0.4 without an option I'm clearly the odd one out in being bothered by this.  Making it a configuration option also gives the opportunity to autodetect, which would ideally help reduce surprises for people like me.

Thanks,
Lachlan

Yichao Yu

Nov 4, 2015, 3:30:11 PM11/4/15
to Julia Dev
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Lachlan Gunn <lac...@twopif.net> wrote:
> Ah, true that. Personally I would prefer to have a configuration option in
> the build system to avoid the need for system-wide overrides (people might
> have local git repos after all), but since Julia has reached 0.4 without an
> option I'm clearly the odd one out in being bothered by this. Making it a
> configuration option also gives the opportunity to autodetect, which would
> ideally help reduce surprises for people like me.

You can use the GIT_CONFIG environment variable

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html#_environment

Yichao Yu

Nov 4, 2015, 3:32:46 PM11/4/15
to Julia Dev
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 3:29 PM, Yichao Yu <yyc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Lachlan Gunn <lac...@twopif.net> wrote:
>> Ah, true that. Personally I would prefer to have a configuration option in
>> the build system to avoid the need for system-wide overrides (people might
>> have local git repos after all), but since Julia has reached 0.4 without an
>> option I'm clearly the odd one out in being bothered by this. Making it a
>> configuration option also gives the opportunity to autodetect, which would
>> ideally help reduce surprises for people like me.
>>

> You can use the GIT_CONFIG environment variable
>
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html#_environment

Actually it seems that it doens't work for any command other than
git-config and the workaround is to set HOME .....
http://git.661346.n2.nabble.com/Overriding-gitconfig-using-GIT-CONFIG-td6680977.html