0.4 issue triage

Jeff Bezanson

Feb 25, 2015, 12:46:43 PM2/25/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I did some more milestone reshuffling. I decided a better classification is

0.4 - additions and breaking changes, release-blocking bugs
0.4.1 - bug fixes

Issues for 0.4.1 can absolutely be fixed in 0.4, but don't have to be.

We should also start thinking about which things to move out of scope for 0.4.

And as always, please delete your old or unused branches :) They are
piling up quite a bit.

Jacob Quinn

Feb 25, 2015, 12:52:06 PM2/25/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
For quick and easy branch deleting: https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/branches/yours

Tony Kelman

Feb 25, 2015, 5:18:06 PM2/25/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
There were a couple of issues from the 0.3 cycle that we still haven't found fixes for that were originally moved to the "0.3.1" milestone and I've been moving them progressively through all the monthly point release milestones hoping someone would find a backportable fix, but gave up there and just took the milestone off after a while.

If slices-as-views and libgit2 don't get widespread attention, work, and stabilization soon, IMO it would be more realistic to push them to 0.5.

Tobi

Feb 25, 2015, 6:49:12 PM2/25/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
100% agreement. IMHO it would be awesome to get package precompilation in but only Jameson can answer how realistic this is. Other than that there were some blockers in making getindex returning views if I remember correctly.

Tim Holy

Feb 25, 2015, 9:28:04 PM2/25/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 03:49:12 PM Tobi wrote:
> Other than that there
> were some blockers in making getindex returning views if I remember
> correctly.

IMO the only "deep" issue is deciding how @inbounds should generalize beyond
the world of Array, and how to implement that decision. The rest is just,
well, work.

--Tim

Viral Shah

Mar 4, 2015, 5:59:22 AM3/4/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I would really like to get the slices as views in 0.4. That is a major change, and I really would love to not have another 9 months go by after 0.4. libgit2 on the other hand should ideally not change any user facing APIs (IIUC), and could be done later.

-viral