Missing Cschar (C signed char)

Scott Jones

Apr 27, 2015, 1:42:43 AM4/27/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't there be a Cschar for completeness?  C char is implementation dependent, usually signed, but unsigned on AIX, for example...
Not that important, just asking...

Steven G. Johnson

Apr 27, 2015, 8:42:52 AM4/27/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 1:42:43 AM UTC-4, Scott Jones wrote:
Shouldn't there be a Cschar for completeness?

There is no need, since you can use Int8.

Scott Jones

Apr 27, 2015, 9:10:36 AM4/27/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
And you can use UInt8 instead of having Cuchar also... but I was just asking about it, for completeness sake... (nit picky, I know)

Steven G. Johnson

Apr 27, 2015, 5:13:28 PM4/27/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 9:10:36 AM UTC-4, Scott Jones wrote:
And you can use UInt8 instead of having Cuchar also... but I was just asking about it, for completeness sake... (nit picky, I know)

 I think that the philosophy is that we generally only define C* types when there is some potential platform dependence in mapping a standard C type to a Julia type.  That's why, for example, we don't define Cuintptr_t either (because it is always UInt by definition).