Usage of julia-es logo, is this ok?

Ismael VC

Jun 22, 2015, 6:15:41 PM6/22/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

In representation of the Spanish speaking community of Julia, I’d like to ask for permission to use this logo:

In all of our social media, etc. Is this ok?

julia-es community ..so far:

Comming soon:

  • Youtube channel
  • Linkedin group
  • Twitter account
Thanks in advance!

Ismael VC

Jun 22, 2015, 6:39:04 PM6/22/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Square logo for profiles:

Stefan Karpinski

Jun 22, 2015, 10:12:35 PM6/22/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
For the sake of making the fonts match, the font is Sinhala MN Bold on OS X.

Ismael VC

Jun 22, 2015, 11:32:10 PM6/22/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
That's right Stefan, that's what I used, in a Mac with Illustrator, but I think I didn't get the SVG right, I just added the text, but I don't know how to vectorize that part and, if I open it in another non Mac computer it looks ugly, because the font is missing.

Jameson Nash

Jun 23, 2015, 12:30:39 AM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Illustrator has an option, if you right-click a text box, to "create outlines", which will expand it into paths. I think saving it as an svg/png/gif/etc should accomplish the same though?

Ismael VC

Jun 23, 2015, 2:08:29 AM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

The thing is that julia-es has been invited to Campus Party Mexico, and we’ve been asked to provide a logo.

While I’m at it, I want to make it with the highest possible quality, so that I never have to end up doing it again. It would also allow us to print or display the logo in very large sizes.

Ismael VC

Jun 23, 2015, 2:09:24 AM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much Nash! I'll try to do as you say tomorrow.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Ismael VC <ismael...@gmail.com> wrote:

The thing is that julia-es has been invited to Campus Party Mexico, and we’ve been asked to provide a logo.

While I’m at it, I want to make it with the highest possible quality, so that I never have to end up doing it again. It would also allow us to print or display the logo in very large sizes.

Ismael VC

Jun 23, 2015, 2:18:45 AM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

This are all the logos I made, I opened the SVG in a Windows computer and the part that reads Julia looks fine, but the part that reads - es does not. I think it is because the text is somehow actually not part (not merged?) of the original SVG.

I’m not good at this! And the only Mac with Illustrator I have access to is at work. It would be cool if it turns out not to be very complicated. :P

I’m open to any suggestion.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 1:09 AM, Ismael VC <ismael...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you very much Nash! I'll try to do as you say tomorrow.
julia-es_logo.zip

Ismael VC

Jun 23, 2015, 1:55:59 PM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

How about these, i like this version.

Scott Jones

Jun 23, 2015, 2:33:44 PM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
That looks quite nice... I hope you are able to get permission!

¿Hay mucha gente en Mexico que utilizan Julia ya?

Ismael VC

Jun 23, 2015, 3:28:07 PM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Scott: There is indeed a lot of interest (more than I expected at first) Mexico is pretty big:

* http://www.meetup.com/es/julialang-mx

Going as a community to Campus Party Mexico next month is a great chance to convert some hackers to the julian creed. Last year there where around 10,500 attendants!

Talking about permission, Stefan I assume this is ok? do I have green light?

Ismael VC

Stefan Karpinski

Jun 23, 2015, 3:34:54 PM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Those are very nice looking. Yes, you have permission to use the Julia logo for this.

Ismael VC

Scott Jones

Jun 23, 2015, 3:36:55 PM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Are they mainly into numerical/technical computing, or are you seeing interest in performance driven C/C++ programmers, who can see this as a better way to get the performance, without nearly as much code (like me)?

Scott

PD ¿Por acaso, eres pariente de Julieta? :-)  (Soy un fan, la he visto dos veces, en Salamanca y en los EEUU).

Ismael VC

Jun 23, 2015, 3:43:36 PM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I have meet people with all kinds of backgrounds, among them there are indeed some C++ programmers, I expect to find plenty of those at ITESM (Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education), just talk this weekend with the boyfriend of a friend of mine, he's going to introduce me with his teachers and he couldn't stop talking about how they were taught with C++, and how much he and his classmates hated that. So I have high hopes!

PD: LOL no, no soy pariente de ella, yo también soy fan! :D

Ismael VC

Jun 23, 2015, 3:45:37 PM6/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
My ultimate goal is to help displace Java as the "standard" language taught in schools! ...mwwaaahahaha!!! 3:)