Building on Raspberry Pi

Scott Jones

Jan 25, 2016, 10:21:27 AM1/25/16
to julia-dev
One of the most painful things I've seen trying to build Julia on the Raspberry Pi I got for my kids, is the time it takes to build all of the large libraries,
such as LLVM, which requires special patches for Julia to work correctly (I'm building julia master, with LLVM 3.7.1).

Would it be possible to have these libraries made available somehow?
I'd be happy to build and host them from either my ScottPJones GitHub account my GandalfSoftware company account,
if that's acceptable on GitHub to do so, but I have no idea how to set that up, so that people could easily install them in such a way
that the julia build would then find them.
Any help getting this set up would be appreciated, I think it might be of use to other Julians.
Thanks, Scott

Ismael Venegas Castelló

Jan 25, 2016, 11:24:02 AM1/25/16
to julia-dev
You could setup you own PPA for Raspbian or Custom repo for arch linux, where you share those binaries:

I have found these references:

Arch (notice that Arch ARM is a separate project!):

Debian:

Viral Shah

Jan 30, 2016, 12:13:07 AM1/30/16
to julia-dev
Nightlies also have arm binaries now.

-viral

Scott Jones

Jan 30, 2016, 9:57:52 PM1/30/16
to julia-dev
Since Julia needs specially patched versions of LLVM (at least currently), would it be possible to have the binaries of the patched LLVM 3.7.1 available along with the
nightlies? (actually, it would be great to have binaries of all of the libraries used available - the nightlies are great, but I'm rebuilding julia also, and building the libraries
is what takes ages).

Thanks! Scott

Jameson Nash

Jan 31, 2016, 12:54:21 AM1/31/16
to julia-dev
Julia only requires the patched version to fix several performance issues, it should still run with a system version. I recommend cross-compiling if you have a slow ARM board and a good x86 processor (a fairly common situation). You can then copy the right parts of the usr-staging directory to move it from one machine to the other (and set the appropriate USE_SYSTEM flag so the target machine doesn't try to build it).

I think we will start generating ARM nightlies in the coming months, in preparation for adding it as a download option for v0.5

Tony Kelman

Jan 31, 2016, 2:05:37 AM1/31/16
to julia-dev
We already have ARM nightlies, they've just been timing out when building inference since jb/functions was merged
https://status.julialang.org/download/linux-arm
https://build.julialang.org/builders/package_tarballarm?numbuilds=250

Viral Shah

Jan 31, 2016, 2:21:05 AM1/31/16
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Can we increase the timeout somehow? The manual build on the same machine goes through.

-viral

Milan Bouchet-Valat

Jan 31, 2016, 7:49:35 AM1/31/16
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Le vendredi 29 janvier 2016 à 22:55 -0800, Scott Jones a écrit :
> Since Julia needs specially patched versions of LLVM (at least
> currently), would it be possible to have the binaries of the patched
> LLVM 3.7.1 available along with the
> nightlies? (actually, it would be great to have binaries of all of
> the libraries used available - the nightlies are great, but I'm
> rebuilding julia also, and building the libraries
> is what takes ages).
The Fedora/EPEL Copr for nightlies contains an llvm37 package with
Julia patches (as well as all Julia dependencies). But of course that
doesn't work if you're under Debian...

Regards