how to build a generic linux binary from source?

Hongbo Rong

Apr 23, 2015, 12:16:30 AM4/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have a scenario to run Julia on a machine that does not allow web access. Since I have a working directory of Julia source, I am wondering if it is easy and how to build a generic linux binary from it, like that in the Julia nightly build system?

BTW: I cannot just use the Julia nightly build, as we have some code not compatible with it.

Thanks,
Hongbo

Jameson Nash

Apr 23, 2015, 12:35:20 AM4/23/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
set JULIA_CPU_TARGET=<something compatible with the target computer such as core2> in your Makefile before building the sys.ji file (or delete usr/lib/julia/*, add that line to Make.user, and redo the build).

then you can call `make dist` to create a nice little redistributable tarball.

Hongbo Rong

Apr 24, 2015, 12:43:58 AM4/24/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the useful info, Jameson. I tried the second approach. It works great.