It would be great to have a Julia talk at OSCON 2015

Phil Tomson

Jan 6, 2015, 10:12:32 AM1/6/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Hello Julia devs:

I'm on the program committee for OSCON (the O'Reilly Open Source Convention) and we're always looking for interesting programming talks. I'm pretty sure that there hasn't been any kind of Julia talk at OSCON in the past. Given the rising visibility of the language it would be great if we could get some talk proposals for OSCON 2015.  This year there is a special emphasis on languages for math & science (see the Call for Proposals here: http://www.oscon.com/open-source-2015/public/cfp/360 specifically the "Solve" track) and Julia really should be featured.

OSCON is held in beautiful Portland Oregon July 20-24 this year.  Hope to see your Julia talk there.

Phil

Phil Tomson

Jan 9, 2015, 8:23:43 PM1/9/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I should add: It would be great to have _multiple_ Julia talks at OSCON this year.

Stefan Karpinski

Jan 13, 2015, 5:27:19 PM1/13/15
to Julia Dev
I'd be interested in doing this, but I don't have any academic funding after this month, so the question would be if speakers have to cover their own expenses of not. Shall we discuss the options off-list?

Phil Tomson

Jan 13, 2015, 5:46:33 PM1/13/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Stefan,

The conference itself is free if your talk is accepted, but pretty sure travel & hotel are not covered.

Phil

Richard Philips

Feb 24, 2015, 2:18:16 PM2/24/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
If I may add: also a full day tutorial would be very welcome!

Perhaps this could cover expenses.

Richard