Julia community stewards

Tim Holy

Jun 29, 2016, 9:11:56 PM6/29/16
to julia...@googlegroups.com, juli...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I'm writing to call your attention to a new page on the julialang website,
explaining the mission of a newly-created group called "Julia Stewards":
http://julialang.org/community/stewards/

This is a group that we hope will have very little to do, but which seems
important given the growth (present and future) of the Julia community. As
stated in the first paragraph:

The spirit of community is crucial to free/open-source development. In the
large majority of cases, interactions are naturally constructive, but in
rare cases conflict can arise. This document explains the mechanisms for
conflict reporting and resolution within the Julia community, to handle
violations of the Julia Community Standards.

Naturally we welcome questions, discussion, and feedback on this document,
either here in the mailing lists or in "new issues" at:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/julialang.github.com/issues

Best wishes,
--your Julia Stewards

Steven G. Johnson

Jul 1, 2016, 12:57:22 PM7/1/16
to julia-users, juli...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 12:20:10 AM UTC-4, Lyndon White wrote:
As such, can we new get a formal response from one of these Stewards to
Bridging the IRC and Gitter  (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/julia-users/ImKYzqHXA90)

To be clear, the role of the Stewards is to respond to Community-Standards violations (in the hopefully rare cases where informal feedback from other community members is insufficient).   Technical maintenance of community forums is not their responsibility.

Chris Rackauckas

Jul 5, 2016, 9:48:10 AM7/5/16
to julia-users, juli...@googlegroups.com
I think in general we need some active mods for IRC/Gitter. Some people with the ability to edit something to get rid of accidental mentions (sorry @parallel....) and ban spammers. It's not too bad, and most issues are dealt with people being reasonable, but I can see future moderation needed. Who would we talk to about this?

Jameson

Jul 6, 2016, 1:13:34 PM7/6/16
to julia-users, juli...@googlegroups.com
I have +o privileges on IRC. I'm (almost) never on, but I can give ops if you PM me and have an account registered with NickServ.