Re: [julia-dev] Standalone executable

Tracy Wadleigh

Mar 15, 2013, 12:36:20 PM3/15/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
I asked about this on the mailing list a little while back, and the short answer is that the functionality for proper stand-alone executables doesn't currently exist, but you can get partly the way there by loading all the code that you want and then dumping a system image. In fact, on that earlier thread, Jeff said:

Building system images is a potential approach to obfuscation, and
also speeds up loading a bit. You basically just require() your code
then tell julia to save off its state. I should document how to do
this, but the incantation is at the end of sysimg.jl.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM, rezahousseini <reza.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone

I really like how Julia is developing, especially that everything is well-thought-out.
One point I was wondering and never read anything in the mailing lists was the creation of standalone executables? Is there planned to have such a feature in Julia?
I have in mind a program with minimal depedencies which can run on any architecture without much installation overhead.

Thanks for your answers.

Cheers
Reza

John Myles White

Mar 15, 2013, 12:45:16 PM3/15/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
We tried to do this with DataFrames and failed, so documentation would be very much appreciated.

 -- John

Stefan Karpinski

Mar 15, 2013, 1:17:24 PM3/15/13
to Julia Dev
This is pretty hard to get right and not really a great solution. There are plans to be able to create binaries. Initially, they will be neither small, nor standalone (they will still require dynamic libraries to be present), but it will be a start. Eventually it may be possible to build small, stripped down and standalone binaries, but that possibility is not imminent.

rezahousseini

Mar 16, 2013, 9:45:37 AM3/16/13
to juli...@googlegroups.com
Are there any patterns to apply here? What would be the way to go?

Joaquim Masset Lacombe Dias Garcia

Oct 27, 2015, 4:02:03 AM10/27/15
to julia-dev
Hi, are there any advances in this matter?
I´d like to create standalones or at least compiled libraries.

Stefan Karpinski

Oct 27, 2015, 10:08:34 AM10/27/15
to juli...@googlegroups.com
The latest and greatest: https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/pull/13677. Not guaranteed to work for everything yet, but it's getting there.

Joaquim Masset Lacombe Dias Garcia

Nov 10, 2015, 5:38:11 PM11/10/15
to julia-dev
Is there any reference example or hints for using that?

best,
Joaquim

Stefan Karpinski

Nov 10, 2015, 5:54:04 PM11/10/15