Using Jug interactively?

Carl Doersch

Mar 31, 2015, 3:56:21 AM3/31/15
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
First off, great job on Jug!  It reminds me of an old framework I built for Matlab and dearly miss now that I've switched to Python.

After reading the docs, however, I'm still not sure how Jug deals with bugs in client code, or with the developer changing his mind about what code to run while it's executing.  I'm a researcher after all, and my codebase changes quickly.  My previous solution was just to have one of the jobs run interactively--a master process, if you will--where I could interrupt whatever is currently executing, submit new code, or alter the inputs to the distributed functions.  Exceptions thrown by the worker processes were printed in the interactive process, and then I could debug individual jobs there.

It seems like the Jug shell accomplishes some of this, but I'm not sure it does all of it.  One can clearly have a simple loop in the interactive shell to check on jug and (maybe?) detect exceptions.  However, is it possible to submit new tasks from the shell, or cancel existing jobs?

Luis Pedro Coelho

Apr 3, 2015, 9:23:32 AM4/3/15
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words.

Jug works a little differently, you run `jug execute` processes and they
run independently. You manage them as regular Unix processes.

If you change the code whilst they are still running, killing them and
restarting is the recommended way.

When an exception is found, the default is to print the error message
and abort. For help with debugging, you can try:

jug execute --pdb

HTH,
--
Luis Pedro Coelho | EMBL | http://luispedro.org
My blog: http://metarabbit.wordpress.com

samuel_a...@brown.edu

Aug 16, 2015, 2:33:01 AM8/16/15
to jug-users
On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 3:56:21 AM UTC-4, Carl Doersch wrote:
First off, great job on Jug!  It reminds me of an old framework I built for Matlab and dearly miss now that I've switched to Python.

Is the code for your framework public? I much prefer Python to Matlab but find myself forced into the Matlab ecosystem often and I've been in search of such a framework. I'd be interested in checking it out.

Best,
Samuel