Jug on computer clusters?

Christina Lin

Jun 24, 2014, 4:19:03 PM6/24/14
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
In this one of the examples (https://jug.readthedocs.org/en/latest/text-example.html#id4), "jug execute jugfile.py" is called multiple times to start a few processes. The tutorial assumes that all nodes are on the same machine, but jug works with nodes on different computers.

How do I use jug with nodes on different computers? An example or tutorial on this would be great.

Luis Pedro Coelho

Jun 25, 2014, 4:47:25 AM6/25/14
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cristina,

The typical setting is that all the computers have access to a networked
filesystem like NFS. This means that they all “see” the same files. In
this case, the default file-based backend will work nicely.

You need to start separate jug execute processes on each node (perhaps
by using a batch system [see below]).

I also added this answer to the FAQ
http://jug.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq.html#how-to-work-with-multiple-computers

the answer about batch systems may also be helpful.

HTH
Luis
--
Luis Pedro Coelho | EMBL | http://luispedro.org
My blog: http://metarabbit.wordpress.com

On 06/24/2014 10:19 PM, Christina Lin wrote:
> In this one of the examples
> (https://jug.readthedocs.org/en/latest/text-example.html#id4
> <https://jug.readthedocs.org/en/latest/text-example.html#id4>), "jug

Christina Lin

Jun 30, 2014, 4:27:35 PM6/30/14
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you!

Christina Lin

Jul 9, 2014, 2:19:53 PM7/9/14
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luis,

I have read through the docs for jug and was unable to find an explanation for the final message. When each instance of jug wraps up, it prints out a message with the number of tasks "executed" and "loaded." What exactly are "loaded" tasks?

Thanks!

Luis Pedro Coelho

Jul 10, 2014, 3:56:10 AM7/10/14
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cristina,

You are right that the term "Loaded" is a bad one, so I think I will go
ahead and change it.

It means "previous-run".

HTH
Luis
--
Luis Pedro Coelho | EMBL | http://luispedro.org
My blog: http://metarabbit.wordpress.com

Christina Lin

Jul 10, 2014, 6:00:10 PM7/10/14
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
I still don't quite understand. Would that be the number of tasks run before the process was started?

Luis Pedro Coelho

Jul 11, 2014, 1:56:56 AM7/11/14
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
Either run before the process started or run by other processes running
at the same time.

Luis