Re: jug and virtualenv

Luis Pedro Coelho

Mar 4, 2013, 4:15:53 PM3/4/13
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bryan,

I use a virtualenv setup and it works well.

When you install jug (either from source or through pip) under a virtualenv, the jug "binary" is modified to run the virtualenv version of Python. Do you not get this?

Run

pip install jug
cat `which jug`

inside the virtualenv and see what you get

HTH
Luis

On Mar 4, 2013, at 8:27 PM, Bryan Lawrence wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have jug working happily on my laptop, where I control everything.
>
> I want to use it also in a shared server environment - two of them. Unfortunately, it's installed on one, and not on the other.
> There are also other subtle differences between the systems which means my analysis software is in virtualenv.
>
> The situation that I can't quite resolve is where jug is installed on the system, but I have a virtualenv that has been installed with access to the system site-packages. In this instance, the system jug can't see the packages in my virtualenv, and I can't install jug in my virtualenv, because it just uses the system one by creating a jug binary which simply uses the system package resources.
>
> I think I can see two ways round this. The one that might work most generically is to modify jug.py so it uses /usr/bin/env python, rather than an explicit path to a specific python. The other is to copy and paste the entire jug egg into my virtual env and hack it. I can't do the former on the shared system - but could test it on my laptop. Before I go down this route, has anyone else come across this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bryan

Luis Pedro Coelho

Mar 11, 2013, 11:48:06 AM3/11/13
to jug-...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 11, 2013, at 2:40 PM, Bryan Lawrence wrote:

> For the record, Jug is a brilliant fit to an awful lot of our data analysis problems!

Thank you.

I use it for most of my projects and find it invaluable.

However, it has not "caught on". I think it is weird at first

(Also, I have not really taken much care to promote it)

Best,
Luis