API Restructuring

Skip to the first unread message

Trevor Norris

27 June 2012, 6:11:16 pm27/6/12
to jstat-...@googlegroups.com
I have been wanting to restructure the jStat API, and possibly file structure, for a while now. The current calls have either been created off the cuff, or taken from various other languages (e.g. R).

One major thing would be to capitalize the first letter in all the distribution methods, since each will return a new jStat Distribution instance.

Thoughts?

Tushar Gupta

12 July 2012, 8:07:07 am12/7/12
to jstat-...@googlegroups.com

 I don't understand how capitalizing the first letter would help ?

Besides, I am wondering about why the codes at jStat.org and jStat@github are not merged ?

Trevor Norris

13 July 2012, 3:20:02 pm13/7/12
to jstat-...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:07:07 AM UTC-7, Tushar Gupta wrote:

 I don't understand how capitalizing the first letter would help ?

Two reasons. It will prevent namespace collisions (e.g. beta function right now is "betafn", because "beta" is taken by the distribution method. And it's better programming practice to make methods that return a new instance start with a capital letter.

Besides, I am wondering about why the codes at jStat.org and jStat@github are not merged ?

Matthew Williams has been in charge of the website, but because of other pressing matters he hasn't had time to update the site recently.