JSR-347 leadership

Mircea Markus

Dec 9, 2014, 1:31:37 PM12/9/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

Just a heads up, I'm no longer working for Red Hat and won't be leading this JSR.

Cheers,
Mircea

Alex Snaps

Dec 9, 2014, 2:21:14 PM12/9/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Good luck with whatever you're up to next...
Do we expect Red Hat to step up on this though?
Thanks & again best of luck to you,
Alex

Tristan Tarrant

Dec 10, 2014, 10:00:15 AM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be enough commitment to help move this JSR forward so our recommendation is to abandon it.

Tristan

ben cotton

Dec 10, 2014, 3:43:08 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com

Sorry, Tristan. but this reasoning seems like a classic case of "post hoc, ergo, propter hoc" ...  a most offensive logical fallicy  ... I would encourage RedHat to respect the many merits Manik, Mircea (and this community) had for efforting 347 and consider coming up with an alternative 347 JSR abandonment rationale.

Tristan Tarrant

Dec 10, 2014, 4:00:46 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Offensive ? I don't think so, I'm just being realistic: there has been little activity and barely any visible commitment.
But I'm willing to hear what the rest of the EG has to say.

Tristan

Ben Cotton

Dec 10, 2014, 4:09:50 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Certainly not personally offensive... Rather ... More logically offensive.  I mean would it be JCP mutiny just to say 'Manik or Mircea... Would either of you have an interest in being spec-lead ... Independent of fact that you're now no longer RedHat direct employee?'

Sent from my iPhone

Joseph Ottinger

Dec 10, 2014, 4:16:23 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Why would Red Hat employment be a factor here? (What am I missing?) It's not Red Hat's JSR; RHT employees had a hand in it, but I was originally participating apart from RHT, certainly (and my personal membership ceased *because* of Red Hat employment.)
Joseph B. Ottinger
http://www.enigmastation.com
Memento mori.

Pete Muir

Dec 10, 2014, 4:32:37 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Purely on a procedural point, I can probably clear up your point below. I’m definitely not representing Red Hat here ;-)

The JCP is a bit weird about membership. You can either be a individual member, or you can be a organisational member. You can’t be both. As a result, if you join an organisation that is a member, you have to participate in JSRs as a representative of the organisation.

A JSR is lead by a particular member, and in this case the member that leads JSR-347 is Red Hat, and not the people who work for Red Hat. As a result, therefore it kinda “is Red Hat’s JSR”.

Like I say above, I’m not saying that Red Hat would, or wouldn’t, be happy to have someone else lead it, just what the procedural situation is.

FWIW, I personally think this whole organisational/individual member split is really counterproductive for driving the Java platform forward…

Pete

Joseph Ottinger

Dec 10, 2014, 4:43:55 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Ahhhh, I see what you mean. Well, we tried to kick it into motion a while back but had no real movement... is there still a need?

Manik Surtani

Dec 10, 2014, 4:45:35 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com

Pete beat me to it, but I hope it clarifies why Mircea or myself cannot continue to lead this spec.

Mircea Markus

Dec 10, 2014, 4:47:53 PM12/10/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the credit, Ben.
I'm happy to participate in the group as an expert, but leading the JSR is not something I would have time to do given my current engagements.
I also think that Tristan's point re: participation is valid, and having more players as part of the JSR is important to get industry acceptance.