BlazingCache: Request for JSR107 compliance

Enrico Olivelli

Jan 21, 2016, 11:19:54 AM1/21/16
to jsr107
The 1.3.0 release of BlazingCache, http://blazingcache.org fully passes the  TCK, both the 'master' version and the 1.0.1 version. BlazingCache is free and Apache2 licensed.

This is a detailed procedure in order to run the TCK against BlazingCache, the procedure refers to the latest published version (1.3.0) which is on the Maven Central
https://github.com/BlazingCache/blazingcache/blob/master/blazingcache-jcache/tck.howto.txt

Maven coordinates are:
<dependency>
    <groupId>org.blazingcache</groupId>
    <artifactId>blazingcache-jcache</artifactId>
    <version>1.3.0</version>
</dependency>

The procedure takes into account that the property implementation-version for BlazingCache must be 1.3.0 and not 1.0.0 and changes some pom accordingly.

There are some differences between the actual 'master' and 'v1.0.1-release' tag of the TCK, we implemented a system property to make BlazingCache pass the v1.0.1-release 'tag'.  By default BlazingCache 1.3.0 passes the 'master' version of the TCK.

Regards
Enrico Olivelli

Enrico Olivelli

May 13, 2016, 10:13:52 AM5/13/16
to jsr107
Hi,
is there any issue with the compliance of BlazingCache with JSR107 ?

We have released version 1.8.0 of BlazingCache.

There are the instructions to run the TCK
https://github.com/diennea/blazingcache/blob/master/blazingcache-jcache/tck.howto.txt

<dependency>
    <groupId>org.blazingcache</groupId>
    <artifactId>blazingcache-jcache</artifactId>
    <version>1.8.0</version>
</dependency>

Regards
Enrico Olivelli

Rahman USTA

May 13, 2016, 10:20:04 AM5/13/16
to jsr...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Enrico!

I don't know what is next step for you but I can suggest you directly talking with spec leads or JCP.

Cheers.

Rahman USTA

Werner Keil

Jun 8, 2016, 12:48:09 PM6/8/16
to jsr107
Enrico,

Great work. I suggest the same.
While JSR 107 does not provide a working out of the box template for running the TCK like we did with JSRs 354 or 363, this document should help:

As a caveat, I have no idea, what the license terms in the JSR 107 TCK guide means for your implementation:

>Copyright 2013 Greg Luck

>Copyright © 2013 Oracle and//or its affiliates.

>All rights reserved.

>ORACLE AMERICA, INC. HEREBY GRANTS A NON-EXCLUSIVE, NON-TRANSFERABLE,

It's clearly not a recognized Open Source License.

Nor is the TCK clearly licensed either.
is very obvious about a commercial proprietary Oracle TCK license (for everything other than academic or research use)
https://github.com/jsr107/jsr107tck claims it's under the Apache license, but it says "Copyright 2011-2013 Terracotta, Inc."
while Terracotta was never a Spec Lead of JSR 107.
One Spec Lead (Greg Luck) insists it's Apache, while at Oracle, you may ask 2 lawyers and get at least 3 different answers. Just look at the Android lawsuit on this...

So unless you have a good legal team behind you to help you interpret the actual TCK license terms you have to expect.
The good thing is, even the corporate TCK license in this case asks
A. For Commercial Licensees: fee of $0 per annum.
(unlike many other TCKs before it;-)

So it may be less severe but I still recommend you ask both ALL Spec Leads of JSR 107, not just one and get legal advise.

If applying the TCK guide the right way it would be cool if you could provide a transparent TCK test result page similar to
or

Both run the TCK against multiple implementations or platforms (e.g. Java 7 vs. 8) and everyone can see whether any tests failed or not.

Good Luck,

Werner Keil JCP Executive Committee Member, JSR 363 Co Spec Lead | Eclipse UOMo Lead, Babel Language Champion | Apache Committer

Twitter @wernerkeil | @UnitAPI | @JSR354 | @AgoravaProj | @DeviceMap | #DevOps | #EclipseUOMo

Skype werner.keil | Google+ gplus.to/wernerkeil