2014-02-24: Progress Update

Brian Oliver

Feb 24, 2014, 5:55:00 PM2/24/14
to jsr...@googlegroups.com

All,

I'm happy to announce that we're almost finished ensuring that all of the JSR-107 contributors have executed an Oracle Contributor Agreement (OCA).

Some background:  As part of the final stages prior to officially releasing open-source software, especially for projects that are Oracle sponsored/lead/co-lead, numerous Oracle groups go through a lengthly internal review process to ensure that there is adequate protection for the Java community, including developers, end-users and companies using said software.   For JSR-107, like all other Java specifications, one part of this process is to ensure all non-Oracle contributions are adequately protected from hostile intellectual property litigation, not just for Oracle but everyone.   To simplify this process and to enable Oracle to act on behalf of the community, Oracle policy requires all contributors to execute an Oracle Contributor Agreement (OCA).  This in fact is nothing new.   Sun Microsystems had a similar agreement.  It's not scary, in fact a lot of companies use this contributor agreement (which itself is licensed under Creative Commons).

Information concerning the OCA can be found here:  (including the agreement, how to submit, a detailed FAQ and all current signatories)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/oca-486395.html

Importantly:   Not everyone in the Expert Group needs to execute an OCA.   Only contributors to the specification, reference implementation and/or technology compatibility kit need to do so.   However if you're planning on contributing in the future, executing an OCA now is probably a good idea.

Why wasn't this sorted before?   That is a good question.   It's hard to explain, certainly as I've only been involved for the past 18 months.  I certainly didn't know about it when I started! Fundamentally it seems that this being one of the longest running JSRs, with probably the largest number of (changes in) leads, we've seemingly, accidentally and/or inadvertently missed implementing several important changes in administrative policy.   With so many people involved over the years, changes in companies, and so on, it's completely understandable. However as part of making the final release we need to ensure that everything is up-to-date, as would a new specification if it were created today.   Hence the time involved - audits take time.

Over the past few months I've been quietly nursing us through this process, being the communication bridge between the numerous groups at Oracle, each of which take a detailed interest in these kinds of things, not to mention the individual contributors and representative companies.   I'm somewhat relieved to say we're almost there.   While it was completely unexpected when we submitted the final draft in December, I can see why it takes so long.   Frustrating?  Yes, but ensuring protection for the Java community is a big deal and it's certainly worth the effort (though I'd rather be coding myself).

My Last Request:   If you've received an email from either myself or Greg about executing an OCA and you've not done so (or aren't covered by your company), please look to do so as soon as possible (or tell us if you can't/won't).   As we've been told, this is the last thing we require before the EC vote and final release.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line.

Kind Regards

-- Brian

Brian Oliver | Architect | JCache (JSR-107) Co-Spec Lead