Question on expectations: JSON translation properties

felix....@googlemail.com

Apr 24, 2015, 1:05:09 AM4/24/15
to json-...@googlegroups.com
For translation workflows me and others are looking into useful settings for json strings. Should a translation tool assume them to be translatable by default or not? Such defaults would influence what human translators get presented (extracted from json) and what machine translation tools do.

- Felix

xmlbuddy

Apr 24, 2015, 8:48:36 AM4/24/15
to json-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wonder how a default global setting can solve this issue? Don't you need to set this for a specific range of string values (by name or maybe pointer)?

Regards
Clemens

Robin Berjon

Apr 24, 2015, 9:27:29 AM4/24/15
to json-...@googlegroups.com
On 24/04/2015 14:48 , xmlbuddy wrote:
> I wonder how a default global setting can solve this issue? Don't you
> need to set this for a specific range of string values (by name or maybe
> pointer)?

Presumably you can explicitly declare some fields as translatable, and
explicitly declare others as non-translatable. The question isn't about
a global on/off setting but rather about what to do by default when no
declaration is present.

Felix Sasaki

May 4, 2015, 5:50:49 AM5/4/15
to json-...@googlegroups.com
Robin is right. And FYI, there is no a proposal and prototype implementation on this, see
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-its-ig/2015May/0001.html
comments here or on the ITS list more than welcome.

- Felix