Hyper-schema Draft 04 changed...

Allan Schrum

Sep 29, 2017, 10:16:28 AM9/29/17
to JSON Schema
Sorry that I'm joining late but I'm trying to understand why the hyper-schema draft 04 schema changed, primarily by adding a new links section at the end.

http://json-schema.org/draft-04/hyper-schema

I'm trying to find the discussion and reasoning for this change and what its impact might be on those existing implementations using the older schema.

Thanks,

-Allan

Henry Andrews

Sep 29, 2017, 8:54:05 PM9/29/17
to json-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allan,
  Could you be a little more precise about what you think changed and when?  Looking back into the repository as of May 2016 (well before any post-draft-04 changes were done AFAIK), I don't see any substantial difference (at some point, the whitespace format changed).

  The links in draft-04 look like this:

    "links": [
        {
            "rel": "self",
            "href": "{+id}"
        },
        {
            "rel": "full",
            "href": "{+($ref)}"
        }
    ]

which I think is correct and always has been (but I don't understand the preprocessor rules in draft-04 so I'm really not sure)

thanks,
-henry

Sep 29, 2017, 8:57:24 PM9/29/17
to json-...@googlegroups.com
Also, what implementation of hyper-schema are you using?  JSONary is the only actual hypermedia implementation of which I'm aware, (although there are several documentation generation tools built on top of hyper-schema other than that).

thanks,
-henry

Oct 2, 2017, 6:18:38 PM10/2/17
to json-...@googlegroups.com
That was probably when we switched the web site repo from having independent copies of the meta-schemas to using submodule references to the specification repository.  So it wasn't intended to be a change.  AFAIK that "links" section was always supposed to be there. and if it was missing that was a bug.  It just makes the hyper-schema meta-schema a hyper-schema on its own, which can identify it's own URI.  Which is nice more for philosophical consistency than anything else.

Other than being unexpected, does it cause problems?  If not, then you can safely move on.

BTW this will be relevant to monitoring for changes: https://github.com/json-schema-org/json-schema-spec/issues/430

Our expectation is to only ever update those meta-schemas with actual bug fixes.  The change you saw has to do with weird decisions to duplicate the files in the past, which let them get out of sync with the spec.

thanks,
-henry