Submitting both user and instance data via both the uri and message body

Henry Andrews

Oct 25, 2016, 3:23:25 PM10/25/16
to JSON Schema
Hi folks,
  I would be very interested in getting feedback from a broad range of hyper-schema users on this issue:

https://github.com/json-schema-org/json-schema-spec/issues/108

It is not possible under the current or previous draft of hyper-schema to do all of the following at once (and in some cases, at all):

* Resolve URI template variables from the instance
* Resolve URI template variables from user input, possibly defaulting to resolving from the instance if no input is provided
* Fill out all or part of the submission body from the instance
* Fill out all or part of the submission body with user input, possibly defaulting to using values from the instance if no input is provided.

The issue goes into a lot more detail with (somewhat contrived) examples.  The way I'm phrasing these implies some things about solutions, but I am open to any kind of solution other than "you should redesign your API".  Aside from expecting proper use of underlying protocols and media types, I do not believe hyper-schema should impose opinions on API design and usage.  Being able to do all of these things in various combinations is a key requirement for a HATEOAS system for me, so I really want to figure out how to approach this with hyper-schema.  It is the only system that I know of that is even close to what is needed.

thanks,
-henry