So what does it mean now that node.js and io.js have kissed and made up?

Tom Fennelly

Jul 31, 2015, 5:08:00 PM7/31/15
to jsdom
Hi guys.

jsdom is a great tool. Only issue for us atm is that we are using node.js (so were abandoned by jsdom at v4) but would like to use a version of jsdom that doesn't depend on contextify (we have some windows users) and, from what I can see, the most recent version of jsdom doesn't (right?).

We are using a maven build tool called frontend-maven-plugin. It supports node and, given the fact that everyone are friends again, they rightly prefer not to make changes to support io.js until they can see what's happening.

What's the plan for jsdom?

Regards,

Tom.

Domenic Denicola

Jul 31, 2015, 5:13:31 PM7/31/15
to js...@googlegroups.com

Once io.js is renamed to node.js, then indeed, node.js will be supported. The current thinking is that that will likely happen sometime in late August, with io.js/node.js 4.0.0. In the meantime, you can use io.js/node.js 3.x and get all the benefits of jsdom.

Tom Fennelly

Jul 31, 2015, 5:22:07 PM7/31/15
to jsdom, d...@domenic.me
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So is there a doc/mail on why jsdom 4+ is not currently support on node? I assume there's a technical reason?

Domenic Denicola

Jul 31, 2015, 5:35:04 PM7/31/15
to Tom Fennelly, jsdom

Yes. Node does not support the revised vm module that is used to replace contextify. It has a very hacky version that necessitated building contextify in the first place.

Node additionally does not support the many ES2015 features we are now using, including block scoping, classes, and template strings.

Tom Fennelly

Jul 31, 2015, 5:46:59 PM7/31/15
to jsdom, tom.fe...@gmail.com, d...@domenic.me
Thanks for the insight.

Godmar Back

Aug 1, 2015, 11:21:05 AM8/1/15
to js...@googlegroups.com

So does the revised io.js VM module support contextify-functionality on Windows?

Domenic Denicola

Aug 1, 2015, 12:19:42 PM8/1/15
to js...@googlegroups.com