[jruby-user] dealing with .ruby-version file

Tim Uckun

Feb 11, 2015, 7:58:14 AM2/11/15
to us...@jruby.codehaus.org
I have a project which I want to test with jruby.  I created a jruby fork of the project and started hacking away the gemfile and other stuff but of course changing the .ruby-version file always causes a conflict with the master branch.

I am wondering if anybody has a cool trick to set up the .ruby-version based on the git branch or something like that.

Chris Seaton

Feb 11, 2015, 8:52:24 AM2/11/15
to us...@jruby.codehaus.org
It shouldn’t cause a conflict unless you keep changing the version on master. If you create a new branch, edit .ruby-version, and then keep merging from master where .ruby-version has not been modified, then git should not see any conflicts.

When you do change the Ruby version on master, which I guess is once every few months, you then have a one-line conflict which you can easy fix.

Chris