iphone 4s & 6 with ios 8.1.2 - "A Problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded"

Oscar Gracia

Jan 21, 2015, 2:24:31 PM1/21/15
to jquery-f...@googlegroups.com
Hello Group,
I'm using jQuery-File-Upload, which is awesome but I'm running into the following issue:
On iphone 4s and 6 with ios 8.1.2, using Safari,
when selecting to attach a file, the user is given the choice of either "Take Photo or Video" or "Photo Library",
after choosing "Take Photo or Video" and setting the camera to Photo and taking a picture,
the Safari browser comes up with the message "A Problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded".

This issue doesn't happen when taking video.
This issue doesn't happen on iphone 5 with ios 8.1.2.
This issue doesn't happen with ios Chrome.

I'm hoping that maybe someone around here has some experience with this issue.
My next step will be to see if I can retrieve some kind of crash file from the phone. Then maybe reach out to Stack Exchange.

Thanks for your time and help.
Oscar

Christian Thomas

Jan 23, 2015, 12:38:59 PM1/23/15
to jquery-f...@googlegroups.com
I've just been trying to debug the same issue. It looks to be a current bug with iOS 8.

The only way I've been able to resolve it, is to add the 'multiple' attribute to the input field, but that does mean you won't have the 'Take Photo or Video' popup. That's the trade-off I'm making anyway, as I'd rather drop that functionality than have it crash for users.

Oscar Gracia

Jan 23, 2015, 1:09:20 PM1/23/15
to jquery-f...@googlegroups.com
After further debugging, we also came to the conclusion that this is a bug in safari ios 8.1.2 on some devices. Apple's quality seems to be slipping.
We created a test web page where we simplified the file upload to use simple html file upload and the crash still happens. Now, this test isn't definitive but it's good enough for us to say it's not a js plugin but is something having to do with either the browser or OS.

**Reference**
Simplified code here, (http://jsfiddle.net/nsemaz2y/7/) or here (http://jsfiddle.net/nsemaz2y/7/embedded/result/) to reproduce the crash.

Under ios 8.1.2&&iphone 4s, safari will crash and says
`a problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded`

**STR**
* Click link above using mobile safari
* Click "choose file"
* Select "Take Photo" when prompted by iOS.
* Take picture and click "Use Photo"

Christian Thomas

Jan 23, 2015, 1:49:59 PM1/23/15
to jquery-f...@googlegroups.com
To add to this, have you noticed that if you take a blank photo, so just hold the phone flat against a piece of paper or something, it works ok.. But if you take a full photo (different colours etc), that's when it crashes.

rbl...@blakeis.com

Feb 19, 2015, 1:07:47 PM2/19/15
to jquery-f...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone had any luck solving this issue.

Does the FineUploader Work to resolve this.