Do upload in new window

Matt Palermo

May 7, 2015, 3:03:55 PM5/7/15
to jquery-f...@googlegroups.com
I have implemented the simple drag/drop upload in my site.  It works well sending the files to a php upload script.  However, my site isn't currently a SPA (single page application).  Many of my users upload large files (often hundreds of megabytes in size).  I would like for them to be able to navigate and use the rest of the site while the files are being uploaded.  Currently, if they were to navigate to another page while the upload was in progress, it would be stopped.

What I want to do is have a drop target on the main page.  When they drop files or choose them with a button, a new popup window will open (window.open), and the file list will be transferred from the main site page to the new window and the upload can begin.  Then they can navigate around the main window while the large files are being uploaded in the popup.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to do this, particularly getting the file list from the main window and transferring to the newly opened popup window?

Thanks,

Matt