M4V video plays fine in IE, but not in Firefox/Chrome?

houdini4877

Jun 13, 2011, 5:18:48 PM6/13/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
We are supplying M4V only.  The video plays fine in IE but not in Firefox or Chrome...

What could be the cause of this?  The only thing I've read to fix this is regarding OGA/OGV formats, which we are not using...

Mark Panaghiston

Jun 19, 2011, 1:46:41 PM6/19/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
your swfPath is wrong.

Firefox and opera require the flash polyfill to play the M4V format.

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 3:32:14 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
But doesn't IE also rely on Flash?  I'm using IE8 and the video plays fine in there.  When I right click on the video, I see that it's Flash...

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 3:35:04 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Also, I can go into the source code in Firefox, copy/paste the SWF URL and I can hit it just fine.  So I don't think my path is incorrect.

Any other reason why it will play back ONLY in IE?

Mark Panaghiston

Jun 20, 2011, 3:38:56 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
IE9 would have used HTML5. I should have asked which IE version...

IE uses a different Flash plugin to the Mozilla browsers. You can check your version using:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

There is an error event type that normally means that the Flash is obsolete:
$.jPlayer.error.NO_SUPPORT

http://www.jplayer.org/latest/developer-guide/#jPlayer-events
http://www.jplayer.org/latest/developer-guide/#jPlayer-event-error-codes
http://www.jplayer.org/latest/developer-guide/#jPlayer-event-use

Mark Panaghiston

Jun 20, 2011, 3:42:33 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Got the wrong error code there:
$.jPlayer.error.NO_SOLUTION

This one will occur if there is neither a HTML5 nor a Flash solution... Which normally means, the Flash is not up to date.

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 3:50:40 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
OK... I've updated both IE8 and Firefox 4 for Mac to the latest Flash Player, which is version 10,3,181,26.  I'm still experiencing the same issue.  It plays in IE8 but not in Firefox or Chrome for Mac.  Do I have to have some kind of codecs installed locally?

I've got errorAlerts set to "true" but nothing is getting displayed.  If I right click I can see the Firefox is loading the Flash piece, but no video is played inside of it and no error is thrown...
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mark Panaghiston

Jun 20, 2011, 3:59:27 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
I'm out of guesses... Give me a dev link and I will take a look.

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 3:59:53 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
I'm testing more... here's what I'm getting (no errors are ever thrown, even with errorAlerts enabled):

WinXP / IE8 - Plays fine
WinXP / Chrome - Plays fine
WinXP / Firefox 4 - WON'T PLAY

Mac / Firefox 4 - WON'T PLAY
Mac / Chrome - Plays fine
Mac / Safari - Plays fine

Seems like maybe a Firefox / Flash bug...

Mark Panaghiston

Jun 20, 2011, 4:01:33 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Oh... my usual guess at this stage is... In the FAQ....

I have checked everything! Why does my site still not work?
Check that you only included jQuery once. Including it more than once will usually corrupt part of your code and give varying results x-browser.

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 4:02:18 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
... and now it seems to be working OK... magically.  Hrmm.  If I can replicate the issue and nail it down I'll reply back.

Thanks for your help, I'm not sure what happened here.

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 5:56:12 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
OK... we're back to issues.

Right now the video plays fine in Chrome on Mac but not Firefox 4.  Then in iOS, the video plays without sound.

Is this indicative of some bad video?  Could there be any other reason for how inconsistently this is working?

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 6:08:55 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
All the demos that I see working in Firefox are using ogv files.  We are only supplying m4v.  Do we have to supply an ogv file as well in order to get Firefox to work?  I downloaded the demo and when I took out the ogv it didn't work.  I thought ogv was optional?
Message has been deleted

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 6:48:53 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Working in iOS with sound now.  Everything appears to be good but Firefox on Mac and PC won't play it.  Hrmm..

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 7:11:30 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Would it make any difference that the video extension is .mp4 and not .m4v?  Firefox can play the mp4 fine when I access it directly.

houdini4877

Jun 20, 2011, 7:24:04 PM6/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
This thread can be closed down since I can't rename it and this is a Firefox issue only.  I'll create a new thread.