playlist demo, IE and flash vesion minimum requirements

Eugenio

Sep 19, 2011, 7:41:02 PM9/19/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I tried http://www.jplayer.org/latest/demo-02/ using IE8 + flash 10.3.x + windows server datacenter and doesn't work, the interface layout itself is not correct and if I click on play nothing happens.
I also tried it on IE9 + falsh 10.x on a normal windows machine (I think it was windows7 but I'm not sure) and an "update required" message came out. After updating to flash 10.3.x it started working.

I thought that the minimum combination was ie8+flash 10.x but apparently I was wrong. Can anybody tell me which is the minimum requirements for IE?

Thanks a lot!

Eugenio

Mark Panaghiston

Sep 19, 2011, 7:54:48 PM9/19/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Do you have JavaScript enabled on your windows datacenter IE8 ?

IE9 on windows 7 should use the HTML solution and not care about the Flash...
Are you sure it was not Windows Server 2008?

It appears that windows has a problem and it depends on the order that you install stuff whether the HTML5 Media works in IE9 or not. I know this to be true for Win Server 2008, but as many people seem to report similar, it could affect other windows installs too.

There are details about it hidden away somewhere in this group... I will see if I can find it...

Found it. Here is the post that led to the bug fix in jPlayer.
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/jplayer/2cG56iT2giM/discussion

Basically the Flash is used when this error on IE9 is encountered. Which is why I started talking about all this in the first place... As IE9 should have used the HTML5 Media solution for the demo you indicated.

Eugenio

Sep 20, 2011, 9:56:17 PM9/20/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
is javascript enabled or disabled by default? I have just used a windows datacenter machine through amazon ec2, the machine has the default settings I guess.

The second machine was Windows 7 but I was wrong about the browser, it was IE 8.0.7601.17514; but still, I thought that IE 8 + flash 10.x was enough, isn't it?

Thanks

Mark Panaghiston

Sep 21, 2011, 10:05:02 PM9/21/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
The Flash needs a sound card enabled or the Adobe plugin freaks out.

That is on my list to fix... Even though the solution did not look obvious when I looked... The Flash docs said the property was always true for having sound available, which seemed rather stupid. But I will need to investigate that one day.

The minimum requirements for IE are IE6 and Flash 10.x.
However, we did get a report that Flash 10.0 did not work, and Flash 10.1 was required. I plan to change the flash checker in jPlayer to chack for 10.1 in due course.

Eugenio

Sep 24, 2011, 6:49:18 PM9/24/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the additional info!

Martin Boström

Sep 29, 2011, 5:08:22 PM9/29/11
to jpl...@googlegroups.com

I can confirm there are problems with Flash version 10,0. I used 10,0,42,34 in IE6 without success, seems that calls via ExternalInterface fails. I upgraded Flash to 10,3,183,10 and suddenly it all works great.