I made a personal streaming service for my mp3 collection using jPlayer. Here's the source code:

Paul Sori

Dec 15, 2013, 12:06:00 PM12/15/13
to jpl...@googlegroups.com

I have a fairly large mp3 collection.  Carrying it around on different devices got tiring so I came up with this.  My mp3 collection now sits on a raspberry pi that runs this software.  I can stream and download my files from anywhere on the internet.

This software still in development, but the core features work just fine.   Right now it's a file browser that can add files to jPlayer.  It can parse ID3 information and download files as well.  I'm currently working on some more advanced playlist features and a database to organize mp3 collections.

This software is designed to be simple to setup.  You still need some technical knowledge, such as setting up web server.  To get this working you have to edit three lines of code that point to your music collection.  That's it.  Check the readme file for more information.

Nick C

Dec 22, 2013, 12:35:40 AM12/22/13
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how similar...but (depending on how far along you are) my code may be of use -- http://jplaylister.yaheard.us.

It creates a jplayer playlist based on folder contents.  It does caching -- but may pose trouble on large libraries with the "pointer" at the root directory.  ID3 info is pulled (using getID3 -- which drastically increases the page load time unless caching is enabled) and album artwork is extracted for easy display.

Good luck!  I keep meaning to put my stuff on git!

-

*after viewing the video, your solution seems like more of a zina/andromeda alternative or replacement than I was expecting.  love that the playlist lasts through directory browsing and the playback isn't interrupted!  i think i may give this a shot.  maybe it'll be a reason to copy/move all my music to my server.  thanks for sharing!

-nc

Paul Sori

Dec 23, 2013, 11:16:40 AM12/23/13
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Hey Nick,

If you decided to give it a go, let me know if you have any problems.  So far I've only set this up for myself.  And since I made this, it's easy to overlook steps that will give other people trouble.

Mark Panaghiston

Dec 30, 2013, 8:38:42 AM12/30/13
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing Paul.

Nick C

Apr 15, 2014, 1:41:24 AM4/15/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

I decided to give this a go and ran into a few issues...

The interface doesn't look like the video (I'm guessing  you've prettied it up a little?)
The expected directory doesn't exist (audiofiles) -- I created it and put some files in there but still no luck.
The "download zip" option on github seems to leave jplayer and getID3 folders empty.  Maybe if I properly "pull" this I'd have a different result, but I'm guessing that users will mostly just download this and wonder why it doesn't work.

My development server is running on an aged Ubuntu 10.04 server *hangs head in shame* -- so that may be part of the issue, or my horrible lack of know-how on a linux box.

I can show you folder structure or send screenshots if you feel like helping.  I doubt I'll put much time into it, but thought I'd offer some feedback since you offered the code so kindly.

nc

Paul Sori

Apr 17, 2014, 11:59:30 AM4/17/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com
I started using git submodules for jPlayer and getID3.  For some reason when you download the source it doesn't download these.  I'm going to start making official releases in the future that can be dropped in and start working with no configuration or hassle.

I'll post a beta version later today

Paul Sori

Apr 18, 2014, 12:08:49 AM4/18/14
to jpl...@googlegroups.com