Five Questions with Joshua Bell, who returns Saturday for Bravo! Vail Festival ( July 5)

vivienne

Jul 5, 2014, 1:05:24 PM7/5/14
to joshua-b...@googlegroups.com
Joshua, who will be performing tonight with the Philadelphia Orchestra, gives some interesting insights in this interview from Chris Freud of the Vail Daily News!

( Please Note: You may need to answer two survey questions, before the article appears)

Here is an excerpt.

Since a violin is tuned in fifths, here are five questions with Bell via email:

Vail Daily: What was it like being a “child prodigy?”

Joshua Bell: I have never been fond of the title ‘child prodigy’ and was happy to grow up and out if it. The ‘prodigy’ label makes one into a circus act of sorts, which I never enjoyed. I preferred the audience listen to the music rather than think about how old I was. … The nice thing is that I’m not a football quarterback or I’d be announcing my retirement. Fortunately in classical music, I have many examples of musicians to look at who are in their 80s and 90s and still performing.”

VD: Describe your relationship with your violin.

JB: It’s been my companion for eight years and as with any relationship we’ve had intense moments, including an incident in Chicago when the bridge fell apart during a performance of the “Tchaikovsky Concerto.” There are some days when I just want to get rid of it. It’s not working with me the way it should, then, four days later, I completely fall in love with it again, and it will start to cooperate, like this living thing. It’s a marriage of ups and downs, but it’s still a love affair.

VD: How do you interpret a composer’s work?

JB: While being faithful to the composer, what I want the audience to come away with is feeling like they have heard the most incredible piece ever and that I have given them their own personal connection to the work.

VD: What are your goals for your career?

JB: I’d like to continue to conduct chamber music from the chair as I have done with the St. Paul Chamber Orchestra and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. I’m also interested in pursuing composing and continuing to teach. I haven’t begun to scratch the surface of the great repertoire I would like to record. And I would like to be a better golfer and table tennis player. I believe in treating every day as if it is my last.

VD: What’s on your iPod?

JB: My iPod is now my iPhone. I do carry headphones around. Sometimes I watch TV shows. I don’t listen to too much violin, but I do have (Jasha) Heifitz. I have the late piano sonatas, which I never get tired of; Beethoven symphonies; (works conducted by) Carlos Kleiber; (double bassist) Edgar Meyer. I occasionally put some jazz on there too.

Sports Editor Chris Freud is the Vail Daily’s resident classical-music fan and can be reached at 970-748-2934, cfr...@vaildaily.com and @cfreud.