This is truely exciting - how come more people aren't here?

Merwinspawn

Jul 13, 2010, 10:45:25 PM7/13/10
to jOpenRay
I have over 3 dozen SunRays donated to the school for which I manage
IT.
To be able to use them as "cheap WinTerms" has been a goal, but
getting there hasn't been easy.
To date, I've been able to download Solaris 10, the SunRay software,
and SunRay Connector for Windows, and run it all in a VM using kiosk
mode pointing to a Windows server.
Yuck.
I hate that I even have to involve Solaris.
This software would seem to eliminate it from the equation.
But it is not working for me.
I shut down my Solaris VM, ran the JAR file, and reset a SunRay.
It never gets past 27B.
This was a SunRay 1, so I dredged up one of the few SunRay 2s I have.
That one never gets past 22B.
Both SunRay clients get an IP address from my DHCP server, but then
nothing happens.
I've looked over your program and there doesn't seem to be any button
to start or stop the service, so I assume it's supposed to be working
just by being run.
What am I doing wrong?

Guillaume Maillard

Jul 14, 2010, 7:07:02 AM7/14/10
to jope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

How did you configure jOpenRay?
Sunray have to be configured with the GUI firmware in order to specify the server IP.

27B is "The Sun Ray DTU is broadcasting to locate a Sun Ray server since either it was not provided with Sun Ray specific DHCP parameters or all of the specified servers are not responding."

22B is "The Sun Ray DTU is booting up and is now waiting for the initial connection to a Sun Ray server."

Because jOpenRay doesn't include a DHCP server (with specific options for Sunrays),
your SunRays is not able to know the IP adress of the server.

Regards,
Guillaume

Merwinspawn

Jul 14, 2010, 1:27:13 PM7/14/10
to jOpenRay
>> How did I configure JOpenRay?

I wasn't aware I had to configure anything other than start the
program and add a valid RDP connection entry, which I did.

>> RE: 27B and 22B

Yes, exactly...my SunRays don't expect to be handed anything (like a
SunRay server address) from DHCP - they use normal DHCP to get their
address and then send out a broadcast asking for any SunRay servers to
reply. In my (working) configuration, the Solaris 10 SunRay Server
software replies that it is available at a certain IP, and the SunRay
proceeds to connect to it. I am guessing that your JOpenRay server
does not properly respond (if at all) to the SunRay broadcast, and
therefore the SunRay just sits there waiting for someone to respond
(which no one ever does). This would be part of the SunRay server
protocol that you are missing, amongst other things. Okay, I think I
can deal with that. Just tell me how to configure the SunRay unit to
use a specific IP rather than broadcast and wait for a server response
(that JOpenRay, at present, does not handle).

Also, I don't see any source code available. I'd like to give it a
shot at adding things that are missing.

> Sunray have to be configured with the GUI firmware in order to specify the
> server IP.
>
> 27B is "The Sun Ray DTU is broadcasting to locate a Sun Ray server since
> either it was not provided with Sun Ray specific DHCP parameters or all of
> the specified servers are not responding."
>
> 22B is "The Sun Ray DTU is booting up and is now waiting for the initial
> connection to a Sun Ray server."
>
> Because jOpenRay doesn't include a DHCP server (with specific options for
> Sunrays),
> your SunRays is not able to know the IP adress of the server.
>
> Regards,
> Guillaume
>
> 2010/7/14 Merwinspawn <merwinsp...@gmail.com>
>

> > I have over 3 dozen SunRays donated to the school for which I manage
> > IT.
> > To be able to use them as "cheap WinTerms" has been a goal, but
> > getting there hasn't been easy.
> > To date, I've been able to download Solaris 10, the SunRay software,
> > and SunRay Connector for Windows, and run it all in a VM using kiosk
> > mode pointing to a Windows server.
> > Yuck.
> > I hate that I even have to involve Solaris.
> > This software would seem to eliminate it from the equation.
> > But it is not working for me.
> > I shut down my Solaris VM, ran the JAR file, and reset a SunRay.
> > It never gets past 27B.
> > This was a SunRay 1, so I dredged up one of the few SunRay 2s I have.
> > That one never gets past 22B.
> > Both SunRay clients get an IP address from my DHCP server, but then
> > nothing happens.
> > I've looked over your program and there doesn't seem to be any button
> > to start or stop the service, so I assume it's supposed to be working
> > just by being run.
> > What am I doing wrong?- Hide quoted text -

Guillaume Maillard

Jul 14, 2010, 2:08:18 PM7/14/10
to jope...@googlegroups.com

2010/7/14 Merwinspawn <merwi...@gmail.com>

>> How did I configure JOpenRay?

I wasn't aware I had to configure anything other than start the
program and add a valid RDP connection entry, which I did.

You don't need to configure anything else!

>> RE: 27B and 22B

Yes, exactly...my SunRays don't expect to be handed anything (like a
SunRay server address) from DHCP - they use normal DHCP to get their
address and then send out a broadcast asking for any SunRay servers to
reply.  In my (working) configuration, the Solaris 10 SunRay Server
software replies that it is available at a certain IP, and the SunRay
proceeds to connect to it.  I am guessing that your JOpenRay server
does not properly respond (if at all) to the SunRay broadcast, and
therefore the SunRay just sits there waiting for someone to respond
(which no one ever does).  This would be part of the SunRay server
protocol that you are missing, amongst other things.  Okay, I think I
can deal with that.  Just tell me how to configure the SunRay unit to
use a specific IP rather than broadcast and wait for a server response
(that JOpenRay, at present, does not handle).

Also, I don't see any source code available.  I'd like to give it a
shot at adding things that are missing.

You are right, I will look at broadcast answers. We never had to deal with it because
we switched to the GUI firmware.
You will see in the admin manual that there are 2 kind of firmware the base version
and tht GUI version. There is a command line to send to firmware to the sun ray,
after updating the sunray, you can specify the server adress by using the internal
menu of the Sunray.

I will see to share the code on google code before the end of the month,
maybe I could find the time to implement broadcasting replies.

Regards,
Guillaume

Merwinspawn

Jul 14, 2010, 3:51:49 PM7/14/10
to jOpenRay
> You are right, I will look at broadcast answers. We never had to deal
> with it because we switched to the GUI firmware.
> You will see in the admin manual that there are 2 kind of firmware the base
> version and tht GUI version.
> There is a command line to send to firmware to the sun ray,
> after updating the sunray, you can specify the server adress by using the
> internal menu of the Sunray.

I would very much like to try this GUI firmware!
Can you email it to me with instructions on how to apply it?
I don't have a manual, in fact if you could email me the manual, or a
link to the manual, that would be helpful too.

> I will see to share the code on google code before the end of the month,
> maybe I could find the time to implement broadcasting replies.

That would be great!
But if you don't get around to implementing anything extra, please
still do post what you have, so I can work on it.

William Cooke

Jul 14, 2010, 6:11:06 PM7/14/10
to jOpenRay
> I would very much like to try this GUI firmware!
> Can you email it to me with instructions on how to apply it?
> I don't have a manual, in fact if you could email me the manual, or a
> link to the manual, that would be helpful too.

Seriously? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sunray+gui+firmware

All this is covered on the Sunray wiki (http://wikis.sun.com/display/
SRSS4dot2/Home)
But specifically http://wikis.sun.com/display/SRSS4dot2/How+to+Install+the+Pop-up+GUI+Firmware+on+All+DTUs

You'll need a SunRay Server to do it from and the GUI firmware should
be in /opt/SUNWut/lib/firmware_gui directory.

> > I will see to share the code on google code before the end of the month,
> > maybe I could find the time to implement broadcasting replies.
>
> That would be great!
> But if you don't get around to implementing anything extra, please
> still do post what you have, so I can work on it.

I would really like to see the source for this project as well!

Merwinspawn

Jul 14, 2010, 11:48:00 PM7/14/10
to jOpenRay
Yes, seriously.

Thanks, I can google, and did, but all the docs didn't help me, hence
I was just giving up and asking an expert.

There is something different with my setup - the utfwadm command would
not work for me, no matter what.

Using utfwadm -N all -a told me I didn't have any subnetworks
configured.
Using utfwadm -e MACADDRESS gave me a cryptic error.

Finally I came across the utfwload command, but it loads whatever
firmware utfwadm has specified, and since utfwadm wasn't working I
thought I was out of luck.
Then I thought, what if I just renamed the firmware directory
firmware_nongui, and created a firmware symbolic link pointing at
firmware_gui?
Once I did that, and invoked utfwload -L, the firmware updated on my
SunRay.
I then proceeded to hit Stop-M and hard code the address of my machine
running JOpenRay and hit CTRL-MOON.

A lovely remote desktop login appeared - no Solaris required.

This is great stuff!
But still rough around the edges.
The session resolution cannot be set (along with many other possible
RDP settings), and that posed a bit of a problem, but just a bit.
Logging out just hung on "Logging out..." - I had to hit CTRL-MOON to
reset the SunRay to get out of it, so that was recoverable.

All-in-all, this is a good start.
If this software can be brought up to production grade, you'll
probably attract the attention of Oracle!
After all, they want you to purchase Sun hardware and software
services to do this stuff - and you just took Solaris, SRSS, and SRCfW
out of the equation.

On Jul 14, 6:11 pm, William Cooke <pipes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would very much like to try this GUI firmware!
> > Can you email it to me with instructions on how to apply it?
> > I don't have a manual, in fact if you could email me the manual, or a
> > link to the manual, that would be helpful too.
>
> Seriously?http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sunray+gui+firmware
>
> All this is covered on the Sunray wiki (http://wikis.sun.com/display/
> SRSS4dot2/Home)
> But specificallyhttp://wikis.sun.com/display/SRSS4dot2/How+to+Install+the+Pop-up+GUI+...

William Cooke

Jul 15, 2010, 4:22:41 AM7/15/10
to jOpenRay

> Using utfwadm -N all -a told me I didn't have any subnetworks
> configured.
> Using utfwadm -e MACADDRESS gave me a cryptic error.

Have you configured a SunRay interconnect? That's probably the problem
if you run:

utadm -A <subnet>

That should give you the ability to do the f/w loads automatically
from the server.

Guillaume Maillard

Jul 15, 2010, 5:03:37 AM7/15/10
to jope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Happy to see that you were able to use jOpenRay!

I will add fields for screen resolution.
About logout, it never shows any issues here, maybe because login/logout
are managed by card insertion/removal. Sure we have to fix it.

Regards,
Guillaume

Merwinspawn

Jul 17, 2010, 1:20:43 PM7/17/10
to jOpenRay
Thanks.

Another question regarding some confusion I'm having with the UI.

On the Sessions tab, one enters information for where the SunRay
clients get redirected.
But it appears that only the first entry is used.
If the other entries are not used, why are they listed?
Because there are multiple entries on the Sessions tab, what I
expected to see was some sort of popup from JOpenRay on the SunRay
client saying something like "Here is a list of destinations, choose
one to connect", but instead JOpenRay just connects to the first one.
Is this something that is incomplete at this time?
Did you intend to do something like that?

On Jul 15, 5:03 am, Guillaume Maillard <guillaume.maill...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Happy to see that you were able to use jOpenRay!
>
> I will add fields for screen resolution.
> About logout, it never shows any issues here, maybe because login/logout
> are managed by card insertion/removal. Sure we have to fix it.
>
> Regards,
> Guillaume
>
> 2010/7/15 Merwinspawn <merwinsp...@gmail.com>
> > > I would really like to see the source for this project as well!- Hide quoted text -

Guillaume Maillard

Jul 18, 2010, 6:24:49 AM7/18/10
to jope...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

You are right, this kind of feature is planned.
We currently have 3 'adapter', ie 3 sources of "display":
- RDP (typically a windows session)
- RFB (typically a Mac, a linux or any OS using VNC)
- a picture (jpg, png...)

I think we need :
- a SSH display, a fullscreen text mode shell automatically logged trhough ssh
- a (Java) Swing display, allowing to display a Java app on the SunRay with the best performance

The Swing display coudl allow us to easily show nice error messages to users and
to create a session selector as you mentionned.

Yesterday I took some hours to clean the source code and to add screen resolution settings,
this week a repository will be opened with the code.
You will be able to contribute if you have some Java skills.

The next "TODO" is to implement broadcast replies in order to support non GUI firmware.

Regards,
Guillaume

Merwinspawn

Jul 18, 2010, 10:50:54 AM7/18/10
to jOpenRay
> This week a repository will be opened with the code.
> You will be able to contribute if you have some Java skills.

That is great news.
While I'm not a Java programmer by choice or profession, I've had to
analyze and and fix existing Java code at my previous employer, and
I've been programming using C++ for over a decade, and more recently
C# for the last year and a half; so I have some hope I'd be able to
contribute a thing or two.