Unsupported Database & Other Doubts on Jooq

Kamal raj

Jun 22, 2017, 12:05:23 PM6/22/17
to jOOQ User Group
Hi All,

I want to achieve the following and I'm wondering whether any nice solution already exits:

1. I'm working on a project which connects to many database on the fly (configured by the user). Here I guess, I cannot pool the connection but rather cache them for sometime and invalidate. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
2. The most important thing is that, we as a product owner, provide set of supported database. Now imagine, we support say MySql version 1.x. What if user tires to connect to MySql 2.x, will the exception will be thrown? The reason is, we want to show that back to the user on un supported database.
3. I believe we can connect to the remote database's using Jooq. Just a double confirmation.

reg,
Kamal.

Lukas Eder

Jun 22, 2017, 2:42:21 PM6/22/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kamal,

Welcome to the jOOQ community. I'm sure it's the beginning of a wonderful relationship :)

I'll comment inline.

Hi All,

I want to achieve the following and I'm wondering whether any nice solution already exits:

1. I'm working on a project which connects to many database on the fly (configured by the user). Here I guess, I cannot pool the connection but rather cache them for sometime and invalidate. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

This isn't directly related to jOOQ, as jOOQ doesn't manage connections / pools / data sources for you but rather operates on your existing connectivity infrastructure.

For instance, if you work with JavaEE or Spring, you can simply provide jOOQ with a DataSource. If you work with manually managed JDBC Connections, you can provide jOOQ with those connections.

I suspect the latter will be the case as your users can configure their own connection, so you'll need to roll some sort of pool yourself.

2. The most important thing is that, we as a product owner, provide set of supported database. Now imagine, we support say MySql version 1.x. What if user tires to connect to MySql 2.x, will the exception will be thrown? The reason is, we want to show that back to the user on un supported database.

jOOQ officially supports MySQL 5.5. We cannot possibly support MySQL 1.x anymore, it's not even available from Oracle. Are you sure this is a use-case or is this a more general question with respect to older SQL dialects?

The way jOOQ generally works is this: For some databases, we support a variety of historic versions explicitly (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, DB2). In those cases, the specific database version can be configured in jOOQ to ensure the queries generated by jOOQ will work on that database.

This is usually not a problem, with the exception of Oracle and SQL Server who only recently started supporting OFFSET .. FETCH. The exception, if any, will be thrown when a specific query is rejected by the database server because of not (yet) supported syntax.

3. I believe we can connect to the remote database's using Jooq. Just a double confirmation.

See 1.

I hope this helps,
Lukas

Kamal raj

Jun 22, 2017, 10:24:22 PM6/22/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luke,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes Mysql 1.x was just a question :) Definitely I'm not supporting it!