Few Thoughts On The Documentation Flow

Anto Aravinth

Apr 4, 2017, 10:10:52 AM4/4/17
to jOOQ User Group
Hi All,

I'm very new to jooq. Today I was reading few documentation from jooq website and I wanted to share my thought on the same.

The flow of the documentation isn't great to be honest. For example, to get started with Jooq in 7 steps, the data is split up on to  each link :

and so on..

If your on step4 and wanted to see what you did on step3, you can't see it in the step4 page but move to step3 page.

Please make the flow easy, its just my suggestion.

` Anto.

Lukas Eder

Apr 5, 2017, 4:47:52 AM4/5/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anto,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Yes, now that you point it out this way, I can totally see your point. It might be a bit easier on the single page manual, but even there, you'd have to scroll to the right place to find out what the context of step 4 is.

We'll need to think about how to improve this. While a step by step tutorial is good to highlight each important aspect of a step, we should definitely help the reader's memory by repeating the previous steps...

For the record, I've created an issue for this:

Thanks again for your suggestion! If you find anything else that is incomplete or confusing, please do let us know. Fresh users always have a fresh approach to learning an API, so your feedback is very valuable!

Cheers,
Lukas

Anto Aravinth

Apr 5, 2017, 5:55:03 AM4/5/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Lukas Eder <lukas...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Anto,
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

Yes, now that you point it out this way, I can totally see your point. It might be a bit easier on the single page manual, but even there, you'd have to scroll to the right place to find out what the context of step 4 is.
Yeah thats true. However, I feel scroll is much better and a common way to achieve the same rather than opening new page in new tab which is quite a boring task :)

We'll need to think about how to improve this. While a step by step tutorial is good to highlight each important aspect of a step, we should definitely help the reader's memory by repeating the previous steps...

For the record, I've created an issue for this:

Thanks again for your suggestion! If you find anything else that is incomplete or confusing, please do let us know. Fresh users always have a fresh approach to learning an API, so your feedback is very valuable!
Sure, I'm very new to Jooq. I would be reading lot of docs and let you know in case, I come across any issues or confusion.

Cheers,
Lukas