[ANNOUNCEMENT] The wonderful jOOQ 3.4 is out, with Common Table Expressions, Transactions, and DDL support

Lukas Eder

Jun 20, 2014, 6:21:21 AM6/20/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Version 3.4.0 - June 20, 2014

With this awesome new minor release version, we have finally started supporting
a couple of very important aspects of the SQL language:

- Common table expressions
- Transactions
- DDL

Common table expressions have been missing from jOOQ for a long time, and
they're now finally part of our DSL API, both for recursive or regular usage.

Transactions are handled very nicely in JavaEE or through Spring TX. But if
you're running small standalone programs with JDBC (and jOOQ) only, you have to
resort to a transaction API that is no longer contemporay. With jOOQ 3.4, we're
now shipping a Java-8 ready transaction API and a default implementation backed
by JDBC transactions. Our manual also contains an example implementation that is
backed by Spring TX. While we do not want to compete with popular transaction
models, we do want to provide a simple, functional-interface oriented API to
apply transactions in client code.

DDL is very hard to standardise across databases, and with jOOQ 3.4, we have now
started adding type safe support for some DDL statements, including thus far:

- ALTER SEQUENCE
- ALTER TABLE

We're going to be adding support for more DDL statements in jOOQ 3.5 as part of
our more general DDL support strategy.

Apart from that, there is a tremendous amount of minor improvements.

  ---------------------------------

This release is available for all editions, including:

- jOOQ Open Source Edition (with a small lag on Maven Central)
- jOOQ Express Edition
- jOOQ Professional Edition
- jOOQ Enterprise Edition

More details can be seen here:

Note: We'll be updating the manual in the next couple of days, so stay tuned

Roger Thomas

Jun 20, 2014, 8:32:38 AM6/20/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
First minor issue, when trying to access the PDF manual for 3.4 via http://www.jooq.org/learn I am given the link

          http://www.jooq.org/doc/3.4/manual-pdf/jOOQ-manual-3.3.pdf

And the error

HTTP 404 / ORA-00942

table or view does not exist

Roger

Lukas Eder

Jun 20, 2014, 9:38:44 AM6/20/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the hint, Roger. I've fixed this (you may need to refresh the page).

Note, though, that the manual will only be updated next week.

Cheers
Lukas

Deven Phillips

Jun 20, 2014, 9:40:41 AM6/20/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
I had just come to the forum to ask if there was a timeline for this release!!! AMAZING and awesome! Thanks!!!

Lukas Eder

Jun 20, 2014, 11:10:13 AM6/20/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it was about time! :-)

Roger Thomas

Jul 4, 2014, 5:03:46 PM7/4/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Any idea when you will have the updated manual available.

Roger

Lukas Eder

Jul 9, 2014, 2:29:59 AM7/9/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry, I forgot to update this thread, I guess. It is updated (although the transactions section is still missing)

Roger Thomas

Jul 9, 2014, 12:16:48 PM7/9/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Oh, now guess with part of the update I'm most interested in :(

Thanks for posting what there is so far and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Roger

Lukas Eder

Jul 9, 2014, 12:25:09 PM7/9/14
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Will do, soon. In the mean time, you can check out the integration tests to see what the API is all about:

Another place where we have example code is the jOOQ-Spring-Example project:

Cheers
Lukas

Lukas Eder

Jul 11, 2014, 6:06:00 AM7/11/14