What kind of edition of JOOQ is valid for Snowflake

Mohan

Jun 2, 2017, 4:35:42 PM6/2/17
to jOOQ User Group
Hi,

If I want to use JOOQ just to write complex sql queries with https://www.snowflake.net/ then what kind of license should be used? Opensource is good?

Also Can I use JOOQ to write queries directly with table and columns names with having a pojo clases for it and read the data like jdbc way?

Regards,
Mohan

Lukas Eder

Jun 5, 2017, 7:25:12 AM6/5/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohan,

Thank you very much for your enquiry, and for your interest in using jOOQ with Snowflake.

Currently, we're not officially supporting the Snowflake database and it doesn't look like this will change any time soon, as we focus mostly on databases with significant market traction, e.g. the ones on top of this list:

Nonetheless, in the past, users have been successful in using the jOOQ Open Source Edition with unsupported databases, depending on the complexity of the queries written. Some of the more SQL standard compliant dialects are PostgreSQL and HSQLDB.

Would you mind explaining your idea of using jOOQ with POJO classes a little bit more? Do you mean, you'd like to avoid using the code generator?

Best Regards,
Lukas

Mohan

Jun 5, 2017, 5:30:29 PM6/5/17
to jOOQ User Group
Hi Lukas,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I would like to avoid the code generator to generate the Java classes corresponding to the database tables.

My Scenario is I have to write very big queries which are like 200 to 400 lines queries having many with clauses. In these queries, I have to pass to some parameters also.

So I am trying to evaluate JOOQ to achieve the below

  • Handling the SQL queries generation with some readable way.
  • Avoid complex string generation along with parameters
  • SQL Injection issues
  • Generate the SQL and use the spring jdbc template

Regards,
Mohan

Lukas Eder

Jun 6, 2017, 7:51:39 AM6/6/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohan,

Thanks for your additional details.

That use-case is perfectly well aligned with jOOQ. You would be using jOOQ's plain SQL API to construct queries without using the code generator:

Do note that the plain SQL API is the part in the jOOQ API, which might expose SQL injection vulnerabilities as well. If in doubt, it's always a good idea to wrap identifiers in DSL.name(). See also:

Every jOOQ query is able to produce a SQL string and bind variables through Query.getSQL() and Query.getBindValues(), which can then be sent to some other execution API, like Spring JDBC

Let me know if you have any questions about the above

Best Regards,
Lukas

Mohan

Jun 7, 2017, 10:25:28 AM6/7/17
to jOOQ User Group
Hi Lukas,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

I started using it. I found out JOOQ is an excellent framework with awesome DSL!

Further questions I am posting in separate threads

Regards,
Mohan

Lukas Eder

Jun 7, 2017, 10:29:35 AM6/7/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Perfect, I'm glad to hear that.
Thank you for your nice words!

Lukas Eder

Jul 13, 2017, 11:54:37 AM7/13/17
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mohan,

How is your evaluation going? Have you found any issues with a jOOQ + Snowflake integration?

Cheers,
Lukas

Mark Diskin

Jan 5, 2018, 11:29:18 AM1/5/18
to jOOQ User Group
We are currently looking at snowflake over redshift would be interested in the results of any integration work or results.

Thanks
Mark