Database support in different edition

vlot...@evelopers.com

Nov 8, 2016, 8:01:27 AM11/8/16
to jOOQ User Group
Dear guru,

Do I understand correctly that database support in different editions of jOOQ is related to code generation only? This is the only place I can imagine where some database specific code may be required. All other parts of code should be database agnostic. Am I right? So if code generation is not required Open Source Edition can be used with, say, Oracle. Correct?

Regards,
Vadim

Lukas Eder

Nov 8, 2016, 8:27:09 AM11/8/16
to jooq...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vadim,

I cannot confirm that. To give you an idea, I invite you to enjoy this chapter of the manual about the LIMIT clause:

... or about the DUAL table:

Just to name a few very obvious differences.

You can of course try using the Open Source Edition with Oracle, but you won't get very far beyond a few simple JOINs, and whatever SQLDialect you choose from the Open Source Edition, it will suddenly not behave the way you expect. Is that risk worth the trouble?

And then, of course, there's the whole story of actual vendor-specific features (like PIVOT, CONNECT BY, INSERT .. RETURNING, stored procedures, LOBs, arrays etc.)

The relatively low overhead of commercial licensing will most certainly be much preferrable to the extra work of patching jOOQ and working around and documenting bad dialect fits all the time. Your jOOQ experience will be much better.

I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I'll be very happy to assist you.
Best Regards,
Lukas